This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: installing moagg...

You can delete it from within Vbox using the media manager - you must "Release" it then "Remove" it. Sounds like you tried this? Without seeing the actual error messages I can't say why you can't delete it, but if you've released it and the file remains, open a terminal and navigate to the file location and type rm 'Ubuntu 8.04.vdi' if you used a space in the filename you need the quotes. If the file somehow got root ownership (see below) add sudo before the above command.

FYI: You shouldn't use "sudo" to launch a GUI program as root. It can cause permission problems by assigning root ownership to temp files and other things. The proper way is to use "kdesudo" which is the KDE graphical interface root program launcher. Think of it this way: KDE is the graphical overlay on top of linux. So, sudo is the linux program and kdesudo is the Desktop version.

If you're frequently in the need of root access for things - you might consider adding "rootservicemenus" to your install. This package adds a list of Root Actions to Dolphin when you right click on something. It allows you to open a root terminal, root file manager, or root text editor. It's very convenient

On a final note: Linux, like life (or Windows ) is full of little obstacles - you'll get past them - just take a deep breathe and try again!

Please Read Me

Comment

So here's what I did.

1. Downloaded Hardy 32-bit
      2. Created new VM named Hardy - 8gb dynamic storage, 1mb RAM
      3. Added the downloaded iso to VBox with the Media Manager.
      4. Selected "Hardy" and clicked, Settings, Storage, selected the CDROM device under IDE controller and then selected the Hardy iso using the little folder icon to the right of "CD/DVD Device"
      5. Clicked "Start" (Hardy was still selected)
      6. The Hardy iso booted within a couple of seconds, I selected "Install...", let the installer set up the drive, entered my name and password and let it do it's thing.
      7. "Re-booted" into my new Hardy install.

All this took only a few minutes (except the download ). Next: Acquire and install the game!

Using the new Hardy install:

8. Launched Synaptic and searched, selected, and installed moagg and dependencies (6 packages total). I did not update Hardy at this point.

9. I didn't see moagg in the menu (yet) so I opened a terminal and typed "moagg". I made it to level three in the tutorial my first try! Fun game - but it will drive me batty! Have you tried "Gimmie Friction" yet?

All done in less than 10 minutes! I did it while typing this post.

I suggest - rather than getting frustrated about removing the other .vdi (for now), start over and try again and just use a different name for your new vmachine. After you've played happily for an hour or so - then go back and tackle the problems!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
        So here's what I did.

8. Launched Synaptic and searched, selected, and installed moagg and dependencies (6 packages total). I did not update Hardy at this point.
        Probably open a Konsole and issue
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install synaptic

before you launch it, unless it comes preinstalled in Hardy.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It was hardy Ubuntu - which I assumed ardvark is using because of the name of his .vdi

Please Read Me

Comment

mmm... I didn't know that Synaptic comes preinstalled on Ubuntu!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

So here's what I did.

1. Downloaded Hardy 32-bit
              2. Created new VM named Hardy - 8gb dynamic storage, 1mb RAM
              3. Added the downloaded iso to VBox with the Media Manager.
              4. Selected "Hardy" and clicked, Settings, Storage, selected the CDROM device under IDE controller and then selected the Hardy iso using the little folder icon to the right of "CD/DVD Device"
              5. Clicked "Start" (Hardy was still selected)
              6. The Hardy iso booted within a couple of seconds, I selected "Install...", let the installer set up the drive, entered my name and password and let it do it's thing.
              7. "Re-booted" into my new Hardy install.

All this took only a few minutes (except the download ). Next: Acquire and install the game!

9. I didn't see moagg in the menu (yet) so I opened a terminal and typed "moagg". I made it to level three in the tutorial my first try! Fun game - but it will drive me batty! Have you tried "Gimmie Friction" yet?

All done in less than 10 minutes! I did it while typing this post.

I suggest - rather than getting frustrated about removing the other .vdi (for now), start over and try again and just use a different name for your new vmachine. After you've played happily for an hour or so - then go back and tackle the problems!
              Hi...

Thank you so much!

I was able to get the whole thing up and running, including moagg, in roughly the same amount of time. I just didn't want to have 1.5 GB's of my space used up by a defunct file. The game is awesome, just like I remembered it 3 years ago.

I haven't tried "Gimme Friction," same concept?

Thank you all again for your help and for encouraging me to stretch out there a bit!

Regards...
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Gimme friction is the same concept if you mean the concept is wasting time with a fun but otherwise useless game!

Please Read Me

Comment

Gimme friction is the same concept if you mean the concept is wasting time with a fun but otherwise useless game!
                  I know what that is, I used to do it a lot before I came to the Lord.

Regards...
                  Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                  How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                  PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Working...
                  X