Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

icons have question marks.... (Lucid x64)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

icons have question marks.... (Lucid x64)

What could be causing this?

See Attached....

EDIT: Fresh install of Lucid...
    Attached Files

Re: icons have question marks....

Sometimes an upgrade or some other thing can cause the icon to get "lost" or maybe confused is a better way to describe it. To manually re-set them, right click on the icon, select "properties" at the very bottom, then click on the little wrench button on the right side about in the middle. This will open a menu that will allow you to click the question mark icon and change it to whatever you want using a dialog.

Sometimes, the act of clicking on the icon will be enough to cause the icon image to re-appear.

Please Read Me

Comment

Re: icons have question marks....

Nope, that didn't help.

Here is a weird part. Let's pick Filezilla. So right now it has a question mark on the desktop folder. So I drag one over from Kickoff. It stays a question mark. So then I hover the mouse over the icon. Hey, there is the icon with a red exclamation mark. Ok, progress. So I click on the icon to launch the program. It asks if it's a legit program. So then it launches. Craziness ensues from here out. The desktop folder shows two lines in a circle (refresh I assume) and then the icon goes back to a question mark.

Comment

Re: icons have question marks.... (Lucid x64)

Sounds like you're saying that filezilla won't launch at all? Then this isn't an icon issue but rather an issue with those programs.

Please Read Me

Comment

the app launches fine. the icon is hosed.

Comment

Now this is interesting....

If I right click on the icon on the desktop and change it that way, it never sticks. If I edit the icon from Menu Editor, replace the icon in the desktop folder by dragging it from Kickoff into the desktop folder, the icon sticks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigAmbulance
              If I edit the icon from Menu Editor, replace the icon in the desktop folder by dragging it from Kickoff into the desktop folder, the icon sticks.
              I had that problem on occasions with Jaunty and the solution you found was the only one that worked for me. I didn't have that problem with Karmic or Lynx. Perhaps because I no longer put app icons on the desktop. The ones I use the most I put on the panel. I put only plasmoids on the desktop.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I'm trying to get into that habit as well. Use the desktop for widgets/apps and not launching programs.

I'll keep digging. It looks as though my situation is limited to 64bit as well. My 32bit laptop doesn't have the same issues.

Comment

To REALLY add to the confusion....

If I manually dig for the icons in the /usr/share/foo directories, the icons stay in place. If I use the select icon in the plasma workspace, the do not stick.

Comment

That's a valid solution. It suggests that the icon in the previous location is being deleted.

Would you mark this issue "[SOLVED]", please!
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

well, is it solved though? I'm thinking it's a desktop folder thing, but I'm not that fluent with it. I can just set this as resolved, but I'm not certain if it is at a higher level.

Comment

I would consider it "solved" if you found a workable solution to your disappearing icon problem.

However, if you want to pursue it farther in regards to sending a bug report upstream then the first thing you have to do is find an error msg in one of the system logs that shows a missing icon, or something similar. I wish I could help in that but, like I said, I haven't had that problem.

One thing you could do is open a Konsole and issue
                        locate appname (or a piece of it)
                        and look in your ~/ (home account) directory listings for appname.png files or appnamerc or appname.conf files which might contain an "icon=path/to/appname.png"

Comment

Working...
                        X