X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu natively run other binary packages

hey there,
    as you can see i only have a few posts on this forum, i'm new to this and linux in general but i'm learning fast.

i had the chance to read alot of stuff on linux (or should i say gnu/linux :P), but i could't find any topic on (i don't know if it even possible) running other binary packages on ubuntu. i also know that there's a program called alien that can convert between formats but that's not my point

like for example installing an .rpm just like you would normally install a .deb on my kubuntu sistem

as far as i understand open source software can be shared and modified by everyone so there must be a way of taking the files from opensuse for example that have to do with reading .rpm's and implement them to kubuntu. now my question is....can that be done by a complete newbie like me or does it require a techie ?

the reason i'm asking u this is that i found and extremely light distro of linux that works flawlessly with my very old pc, tiny core linux and it would be sooooo sweet if i could make it run and read .deb files (curently it's using .tcz)

i'm waiting forward for your responses

Re: kubuntu natively run other binary packages

*buntu distributions are a variant of the Debian branch of Linux. Packages for Debian are built into .deb files.

Alien will indeed "convert" between .deb and .rpm packages. HOWEVER, alien cannot resolve dependency issues -- it only restructures the package. So don't think any .rpm package that you can discover will automatically run correctly on a random Debian distribution -- that's far from reality.

There's a great instruction online somewhere on "How to build a Debian package" -- I'll post it when I find it.

HOWEVER #2: My 20-second review of tiny core linux indicates that it is NOT a Debian, nor is it a Redhat distribution, as indicated by the custom package management software: http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/Packag...nt+cheat+sheet

Therefore, for any software package that you want to install on tiny core, which is not already available in their repos, you would have to learn tiny core packaging, including resolution of dependencies for that distribution.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X