Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOLVED:The wastebin has reached its maximum size! Cleanup the wastebin manually.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED:The wastebin has reached its maximum size! Cleanup the wastebin manually.

Hi
    I have searched other threads on this forum and confirmed I have ownership of the trash folders but i am still getting the above message
    I have navigated to the trash folder in my .local folder and it appears to be empty
    The problem only started today
    Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Raaj
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Viva Kubuntu!!
    Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
    2Gb RAM
    Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
    KDE 4.7.1

Re: The wastebin has reached its maximum size! Cleanup the wastebin manually.

Open Dolphin and see if its trashcan in the Places panel is empty.

Open a konsole and issue "sudo dolphin" and see if "root"s trashcan is empty.

If either is not then right mouse on the trashcan icon and select the "Empty Trashcan" option.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hey thanks for the fast response

Both were empty

But I tried something else which was to go into settings and change from "warn me" to "delete biggest file first" and that seems to have worked

But I am concerned i may have had some invisible crap somewhere I would be better rid off!

Any ideas where the invisible big file may have been hiding??

Cheers

Raaj
      Viva Kubuntu!!
      Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
      2Gb RAM
      Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
      KDE 4.7.1

Comment

check in a terminal
        Code:
        df -h
        and see how full your /home is!

wile looking in the trash can in dolphin see if view>show hidden files is checked ...if the files are/were hidden (start with a . )

I usually don't delete eneything unless I'm shure I want it gone ...so I highlight the files in dolphin then hold down shift and hit delete..........this bypasses the trash can and permanently deletes them.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

There aren't any "hidden" files in the sense that the file utilities won't let you see them, like there is in Windows.

All hidden files or folders in Linux have a "." as the first character of their name.
          Dolphin has a "Show hidden files" under the View menu option. Dolphin's trash cans handle only trash accumulated through its operation. Other apps have their own trash cans. Probably one of them had a large file or a large number of files in it. The Dolphin trash size setting is based on file usage, not app usage.

The Dolphin setting that allows you to automatically delete files based on age, size or percentage of the disk free space is because some folks have special needs for their trash, like being able to retrieve fairly large files (video editing).

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            Other apps have their own trash cans. Probably one of them had a large file or a large number of files in it. The Dolphin trash size setting is based on file usage, not app usage.
            Now that's interesting...is there any general maintenance I can do for this?

Thanks again for the quick advice folks

Cheers

Raaj
            Viva Kubuntu!!
            Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
            2Gb RAM
            Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
            KDE 4.7.1

Comment

The setting change you made in Dolphin should handle the issue. Or, just set it to a little bigger than the maximum file size you think you will be dumping in the trash, or to some small percentage of your HD space.

Comment

Ok will do
                Thanks again guys
                Cheers
                Raaj
                Viva Kubuntu!!
                Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
                2Gb RAM
                Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
                KDE 4.7.1

Comment

Working...