This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screensavers in Kubuntu

Hi: i was just taking a preview look at Kubuntu 10.10 (beta) running the live cd...it seems very nice. I have never actually installed Kubuntu before, so i was just wondering...on the live cd, i don't see any package of screensavers when i went to set it...all it showed was "blank" and "random"....I was surprised there wasn't a bunch of screensavers to choose from, like in ubuntu, and other distros...

So, i was wondering...when you do the actual install, or first set of updates, do they add in a screensaver package?
    Or if not, how do you ADD a screensaver package to it?

Thanks

Re: Screensavers in Kubuntu

After installation, there are screensaver packages that you can install from the standard repositories.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thanks...and do you get that within kpackagekit software manager? or elsewhere? and what is it called and does it get automatically added on to the screensaver selections in system settings or do you have to do something to get it there?

Comment

KPackageKit sucks. It is the default package manager in Kubuntu now, but it still sucks. Don't use it.

Open a console after installing, and type:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install synaptic
        Synaptic is a far, far, superior package manager. Use it and forget about KPackageKit. Then just fire up Synaptic and search on screensaver.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          KPackageKit sucks. It is the default package manager in Kubuntu now, but it still sucks. Don't use it.

Open a console after installing, and type:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get install synaptic
          Synaptic is a far, far, superior package manager. Use it and forget about KPackageKit. Then just fire up Synaptic and search on screensaver.
          yes synaptic is a great package manager, except i would use the following to install it
          [code=run in konsole]
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install synaptic
          [/code]
          the only difference being that you will have less to download since the packages that are recommended by synaptic will not be installed.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by craig10x
            Hi: i was just taking a preview look at Kubuntu 10.10 (beta) running the live cd...it seems very nice. I have never actually installed Kubuntu before, so i was just wondering...on the live cd, i don't see any package of screensavers when i went to set it...all it showed was "blank" and "random"....I was surprised there wasn't a bunch of screensavers to choose from, like in ubuntu, and other distros...

So, i was wondering...when you do the actual install, or first set of updates, do they add in a screensaver package?
            Or if not, how do you ADD a screensaver package to it?

Thanks
            Hi...

Just to add to what others have said, after you install Kubuntu and the Synaptic Package Manager, open up the manager and install the following...

xscreensaver
            xscreensaver-data
            xscreensaver-data-extra
            xscreensaver-gl
            xscreensaver-gl-extra

This should give you a lot more screensavers to choose from, my personal favorite being "Atlantis."

Regards...
            Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
            How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
            PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

If you want to use the Kde screensavers, install the package:
              kscreensaver

If you also want to use the Xscreensavers, additionally install:
              kscreensaver-xsaver
              Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

wow...thanks so much for the help...i logged on here this morning and saw all the very helpful replies

I haven't actually installed yet (waiting for the final release) but was playing with Kubuntu 10.10 (beta) on the live cd...
                When i tried adding the package manager in the terminal (using the two paste ins you guys gave me) it didn't seem to work...but maybe that is related to the live cd or a bug in the beta...

However, i was able to install the Kscreensaver package using KPackageKit...I was just installing a few things on my live cd while i was playing with it to see how various things were working...
                Once i added that package i had a nice choice to use...Also appreciate the tips on getting additional packages!

In previous editions, when i checked out the live cd, KPackageKit was extremely bugging and half the times things wouldn't even install, couldn't find programs, would "crash" etc....

I just wanted to mention that it appears that in 10.10, they have made a lot of improvements in KPackageKit and it seems to be working VERY WELL NOW (though it's a bit slower then package manager) it actually appears to be quite USABLE now...

Though one tip i have to mention...you have to go to the "software sources" section of it, and make sure you tick all the boxes (which are not checked by default)...once you do, it looks like ALL software programs can be accessed with it as you get in the Package Manager....and with the couple of programs i installed, it seemed to be doing a very good job of it

Comment

Some extra info. Hope it helps.

I wanted to use some fancy screensavers from here, but had to do a couple of things for it to work.

First, I installed recommended packages.
                  apt-get install build-essential kdebase-workspace-dev libqt4-opengl-dev

I also installed Cmake, since one particular screensaver recommended it.

To install the screensaver I had to cd build, then ran
                  sudo make; sudo make install (got an error without sudo)

Then, the default install directories are
                  /usr/local/bin/kwatersaver4.kss &
                  /usr/local/share/kde4/services/ScreenSavers/kwatersaver4.desktop

So, I copied kwatersaver4.kss to /usr/bin/
                  & kwatersaver4.desktop to /usr/share/kde4/services/ScreenSavers/ (where the rest of my screensavers are)

After that I was able to find it in the list in screensaver settings!

I recommend searching for these screensavers by name using synaptic first since it seems to install them properly, but not all screensavers that I've tried show up via a synaptic search.

Comment

thanks...i appreciate your post

by the way...although kpackagemanager sucked in the past..it doesn't suck in kubuntu 10.10...i was just running the live cd again today and installed a number of programs, and it really worked excellent...more like the ubuntu software manager actually...i was very surprised! You could even install synaptic from it too....That is, as long as you go to "software sources" and check all the boxes, otherwise you won't get the entire list of 30,000 packages or whatever it is these days

seriously...works very smooth as of 10.10...i didn't even bother to add package manager...that is how well it was working for me...

Comment

I think they changed the "back end" on kpackagekit and it doesn't appear to be buggy anymore... works very smooth actually...even has a main page with catagories...just like the ubuntu software center...It's a huge improvement over previous versions...i would suggest you check it out when you install the 10.10 version...

Comment

Working...
                      X