This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Card & Dial Up Modem have disappeared. (10.04) KDE 4.5.1

This weekend I upgraded to KDE 4.5.1, and everything appeared to work normally. I used the computer to listen to music, and do normal items.

Last night I didn't change anything, and it even worked this morning before i left for work.

When I got to work and opened the laptop, Kubuntu informed me that it couldn't "find" the sound card "audio playback device HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)"

I told it to not delete it permanently, because I figured something weird happened and it would be back.

Then I went to log onto the Internet, and no modem. I checked the WVdial.conf, and the /dev/modem was still there, but it simply couldn't find the modem!

I rebooted several times, and even tried a cold shutdown and restart, and each time there was no soundcard and modem.

Options? I'm not sure what happened, so I don't know where to begin the troubleshooting process.

Re: Sound Card & Dial Up Modem have disappeared. (10.04) KDE 4.5.1

Might I suggest that you didn't actually complete the upgrade process to KDE 4.5.1.

After adding/activating the KDE 4.5.1 repository - kubunutu-ppa/backports - the following, run from the console, result in a complete upgrade to KDE 4.5.1:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reboot.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    At this point it is likely you will get a the following error:
    Unpacking replacement kdepimlibs5 ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libqt4-help_4%3a4.7.0~rc1-1ubuntu1~lucid1~ppa1_i386.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Continue with:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -f install
    Reboot.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Reboot.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    This last dist-upgrade should return nothing.
    Reboot one last time.

KDE 4.5.1 is now fully upgraded/installed. And, likely, your two issues will be resolved.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, that is the error I got during my upgrade, and the steps you recommend are the ones I did. They completed the install successfully.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ok, I verified that I have the repository in my list.

Then I ran the two commands.

First command ran through a lot of text, didn't see most of it before it scrolled off the screen.

second command returned the following.

Code:
         0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
        And the error didn't come up.

Should I try a downgrade? Reinstall?

Thanks!

Comment

Downgrade or reinstall? No. What ever is going on with your two issues is likely solvable without resorting to either.

Have you actually confirmed that KDE 4.5.1 is what you now have? Launch any KDE app (Dolphin) and click on Help > About KDE.

Comment

Confirmed, I'm running 4.5.1

Also here is confirmation that I have the right repositories listed. Or do it?

[img width=400 height=231]http://scottyk.net/sources.png[/img]

Link for full size..

http://scottyk.net/sources.png

Comment

You do have the correct repository needed for the upgrade to KDE 4.5.1 - kubuntu-ppa/backports. I notice that you don't have the partner repository active - archive.canonical.com/ubuntu. I've always had that active. I would activate it and update / dist-upgrade again.

Comment

Hi all...

I've seen many instances of updates causing various problems with the OS, whether Ubuntu or Kubuntu and because of this, I've always felt that with Linux, never allow the OS to perform updates. I'm curious of others opinions as to whether these problems are common or are they fairly rare when taken as a whole.

Regards...
                Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I decided to just nuke it and start over. Would give me the practice of copying everything back over.

The OS had tons of updates, and some parts were converted over to 4.5.1. However when I ran the command apt-get dist-upgrade, there were several more packages that the OS missed.

Something must have been broken with my previous install, because several programs are updated, that were not before. For most of them, I got used to the way it was, and since Kpackagekit never found an update, I didn't know one was out there.

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark71
                    Hi all...

I've seen many instances of updates causing various problems with the OS, whether Ubuntu or Kubuntu and because of this, I've always felt that with Linux, never allow the OS to perform updates. I'm curious of others opinions as to whether these problems are common or are they fairly rare when taken as a whole.

Regards...
                    I let KPackageKit do SMALL automatic updates and it hasn't caused me any problems so far. I also run apt-get update & upgrade when ever the mood strikes me. When KPackageKit tells me that a LARGE number (>80 or so) programs await updating I usually cancel it and resort to Synaptic or the CLI just because KPackageKit is so flaky.

But, in my recent upgrade to KDE 4.5.1 I added the ppa to my repository and ran apt-get update & dist-upgrade. After the download portion and 3/4ths the way through the package installations a failure occurred which stopped the process. I had to finish the process using "apt-get -f install" and "apt-get dist-upgrade" several times before the process completed without errors. IF I had let KPackageKit do the upgrade it would have crashed without removing the locks and I would have had to delete the locks manually.

I believe that the failure of the KDE 4.5.1 update was a packaging fault.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK
                      I decided to just nuke it and start over. Would give me the practice of copying everything back over.

The OS had tons of updates, and some parts were converted over to 4.5.1. However when I ran the command apt-get dist-upgrade, there were several more packages that the OS missed.

Something must have been broken with my previous install, because several programs are updated, that were not before. For most of them, I got used to the way it was, and since Kpackagekit never found an update, I didn't know one was out there.
                      Hi...

So completing the upgrades didn't resolve the issue?

Regards...
                      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                        I let KPackageKit do SMALL automatic updates and it hasn't caused me any problems so far. I also run apt-get update & upgrade when ever the mood strikes me. When KPackageKit tells me that a LARGE number (>80 or so) programs await updating I usually cancel it and resort to Synaptic or the CLI just because KPackageKit is so flaky.

But, in my recent upgrade to KDE 4.5.1 I added the ppa to my repository and ran apt-get update & dist-upgrade. After the download portion and 3/4ths the way through the package installations a failure occurred which stopped the process. I had to finish the process using "apt-get -f install" and "apt-get dist-upgrade" several times before the process completed without errors. IF I had let KPackageKit do the upgrade it would have crashed without removing the locks and I would have had to delete the locks manually.

I believe that the failure of the KDE 4.5.1 update was a packaging fault.
                        Thank you, GreyGeek, for your response. I'm glad you were able to complete the process. If ever I get a hold of another system to practice on, I will try what you have mentioned, doing small automatic updates and if I get brave enough to want to learn how to fix a broken copy of Ubuntu or Kubuntu, go ahead and install the larger KDE upgrades. 10.04 runs beautifully on my system, no need to break what isn't broken.

I'm gathering from your post that Synaptic works in Kubuntu as well? I would prefer that program over KPackageKit hands down any day!

Regards...

Comment

I'm gathering from your post that Synaptic works in Kubuntu as well? I would prefer that program over KPackageKit hands down any day!
                          Very well indeed! KPackageKit is, for all practical purposes, still under peforming. ("Help! I've fallen down and I can't get up!")

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                            Very well indeed! KPackageKit is, for all practical purposes, still under peforming. ("Help! I've fallen down and I can't get up!")
                            Hi GreyGeek...

Just found the code to install it from Snowhog on another thread. Installed it and it works great.

Regards...

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyK

Hi...

So completing the upgrades didn't resolve the issue?

Regards...
                              I tried to let it upgrade several times, but kept coming up with zero available updates.

I figured that it would be quicker to just start over. Plus I've learned a lot since I last installed Kubuntu, way back in April!

It was late last night and I didn't pay attention to the fact that Kpackagekit installed over 120 updates, but everything seems to be going fine. Went to Konsole and finished the upgrade process.

Already have Synaptic loaded, so that's my choice from now on, until the Kubuntu gurus give it the blessing.

I just installed Synaptic from the command line, seems to be working just fine!

I'll also get to do this again in October with the release of 10.10. I'm sure the upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10 is easy, but I like the practice of reinstalling everything. Gets me to remember all the various command line items!

Comment

Working...
                              X