Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 (almost) identical packages in KpackageKit ...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 (almost) identical packages in KpackageKit ...

how do I know which I should get?

I am about to start testing with Postgresql. So i openned the packageKit, and searched for "postgresql".

Immediately, a ton of packs were displayed, but first I wanted to target the actual db and the pgAdmin3. when i got down to the actual db package, I discovered there were 2 packages:

object-relational SQL database, version 8.4 server
    postgresql-8.4 - 8.4.4-0ubuntu10.04 (amd64)

Details:
    PostgreSQL is a fully featured object-relational database management system. It supports a large part of the SQL standard and is designed to be extensible by users in many aspects. Some of the features are: ACID transactions, foreign keys, views, sequences, subqueries, triggers, user-defined types and functions, outer joins, multiversion concurrency control. Graphical user interfaces and bindings for many programming languages are available as well.

This package provides the database server for PostgreSQL 8.4. Servers for other major release versions can be installed simultaneously and are coordinated by the postgresql-common package. A package providing ident-server is needed if you want to authenticate remote connections with identd.
    Home Page:
    http://www.postgresql.org/
    License:
    free
    Size:
    3.9 MiB
    and
    object-relational SQL database, version 8.4 server
    postgresql-8.4 - 8.4.3-1 (amd64)

Details:
    PostgreSQL is a fully featured object-relational database management system. It supports a large part of the SQL standard and is designed to be extensible by users in many aspects. Some of the features are: ACID transactions, foreign keys, views, sequences, subqueries, triggers, user-defined types and functions, outer joins, multiversion concurrency control. Graphical user interfaces and bindings for many programming languages are available as well.

This package provides the database server for PostgreSQL 8.4. Servers for other major release versions can be installed simultaneously and are coordinated by the postgresql-common package. A package providing ident-server is needed if you want to authenticate remote connections with identd.
    Home Page:
    http://www.postgresql.org/
    License:
    free
    Size:
    3.9 MiB
    Both appear to have the same "depends on" and "required by" list..

"Life would be alot more fun if it had save points..."

Re: 2 (almost) identical packages in KpackageKit ...

8.4.4 is the most recent update in the repository. Choose it.

Are you familiar with how to set it up?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Simulated installations on either results in the 8.4.4 package being selected for installation, which makes sense, as it's the higher version. Not sure why both are present.

KPackageKit isn't really a very good package manager - yet. You would do yourself a big favor if you installed either (or both) the Synaptic or Muon package manager. Both do a superior job to KPackageKit. Synaptic is still the de rigueur package manager for many. Muon, a very new package manager, is a very nice alternative to Synaptic and although new and still under development, is very capable and feature rich. Muon is a KDE application, where as Synaptic is a Gnome-centric application (which doesn't make it bad in any way). To install Muon, you need to add the developers ppa repository. Synaptic is available in the standard repositories and can be installed from KPackageKit.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you kindly

I will definitely look into a replacement package manager. That is really about the only real negative I have so far with my kubuntu install... which I was just taking as something I needed to adjust to

right then, installing the 8.4.4 package. Thanks again.

---EDIT

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        8.4.4 is the most recent update in the repository. Choose it.

Are you familiar with how to set it up?
        actually no. I have it installed now, and wen tthrough a tutorial here
        and am now stuck at the
        Initialize PostgreSQL database server: initdb --pgdata=/var/lib/pgsql/data
        This creates a bunch of directories, a template directory and sets up the postgres configuration in the user directory /var/lib/pgsql/. Red Hat start command (service)/script (rc script) will perform this task if it has not already been performed. See next step - Starting the database.
        my konsole:
        Code:
        moto@lenovo-g550:~$ initdb --pgdata=/var/lib/pgsql/data
        initdb: command not found
        not sure how to tell what's happening here

opened the pgAdmin3, and it shows "Servers(0)"
        so I know I haven't got it working just yet.
        "Life would be alot more fun if it had save points..."

Comment

I'm not an expert on this, but I did install it and get it working.
          It does work a little differently in ubuntu than red hat.

First thing is to make sure you have the postgres user.
          If so, then:
          su postgres
          Password:
          (which should be postgres, by default
          psql
          psql (8.4.4)
          Type "help" for help.

postgres-# \l <-- That's a backslash, lowercase L
          List of databases
          Name | Owner | Encoding | Collation | Ctype | Access privileges
          -----------+----------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
          phpwiki | postgres | UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
          postgres | postgres | UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
          template0 | postgres | UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | =c/postgres
          : postgres=CTc/postgres
          template1 | postgres | UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | =c/postgres
          (4 rows)

That's what I got, but I have phpwiki installed. So you will probably have ony two lines.
          This install process should have run the initdb for you, but the files are in a slightly different location (/var/lib/postgresql/8.4/main)

Edit: Oh yes, to get phppgadmin to work, you need to change one of the lines in
          /etc/phppgadmin/config.inc.php from "true" to "false", so it reads:
          $conf['extra_login_security'] = false;
          at least for while you are still learning it.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Those instructions are for an RPM package on YoLinux, not for a debian package on Ubuntu. But, from the latest msg you've just posted, it appears you know how to make things work. Here is the ubuntu method, with some advice from me based on my experience doing it.

Refer to this URL: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PostgreSQL, in the section giving instructions for Lucid (which will apply to Maverick, too). For brevity I'll post the pertinent parts here, along with my comments:
            Lucid
            To install Postgresql 8.4 you may use the command line and type:
            sudo apt-get install postgresql
            Administration
            pgAdmin III is a handy GUI for PostgreSQL, it is essential to beginners. To install it, type at the command line:
            sudo apt-get install pgadmin3
            You may also use the Synaptic package manager from the System>Administration menu to install these packages.
            Basic Server Setup
            To start off, we need to change the PostgreSQL postgres user password; we will not be able to access the server otherwise. As the “postgres” Linux user, we will execute the psql command.
            psql is the console admin program for PostgreSQL. It can only be accessed as posgres or a user with posgres rights.

In a terminal, type:
            in Lucid:
            sudo -u postgres psql postgres
            Set a password for the "postgres" database role using the command:
            \password postgres
            and give your password when prompted. The password text will be hidden from the console for security purposes.
            Type Control+D to exit the posgreSQL prompt.
            Don't exit the psql consol admin app, but keep in mind the password you gave to PostgreSQL's postgres account and later give the Linux postgres user the same password using either the CLI or the KUsers GUI.

While in psql you want to do two things (because it is easiest to do them initally in psql): 1) create you as a user with superuser rights, for convenience, and 2) create your first database using your user name as the owner.

If you do it this way:
            Create database
            To create the first database, which we will call "mydb", simply type :
            sudo -u postgres createdb mydb
            then "mydb" will be owned by postgres. If you want your databases to be owned by you then you should create them with you (or some Linux account name) as the owner.

1)
            jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$ sudo su -
            (enter your password)
            root@sonyvgnfw140e:~# su postgres
            postgres@sonyvgnfw140e:/root$ psql
            root@sonyvgnfw140e:~#psql

In psql a "\?" and the Enter key will get you a list of psql commands. Use "q" to exit the \?" listing and return to the psql prompt. A "\h| will give you a list of SQL commands. (In psql, SQL commands end with a semicolon, which can be on a line by itself, following several lines of A SQL command. psql help commands and other commands do not)

2)
            Create your user:
            postgres=# \help create user
            Command: CREATE USER
            Description: define a new database role
            Syntax:
            CREATE USER name [ [ WITH ] option [ ... ] ]
            where option can be:
            SUPERUSER | NOSUPERUSER
            | CREATEDB | NOCREATEDB
            | CREATEROLE | NOCREATEROLE
            | CREATEUSER | NOCREATEUSER
            | INHERIT | NOINHERIT
            | LOGIN | NOLOGIN
            | CONNECTION LIMIT connlimit
            | [ ENCRYPTED | UNENCRYPTED ] PASSWORD 'password'
            | VALID UNTIL 'timestamp'
            | IN ROLE rolename [, ...]
            | IN GROUP rolename [, ...]
            | ROLE rolename [, ...]
            | ADMIN rolename [, ...]
            | USER rolename [, ...]
            | SYSID uid
            postgres=#
            CREATE USER yourname WITH SUPERUSER PASSWORD 'yourpassword';
            Other users and group roles can be added later with less rights. Rights can be very fine grained.
            I usually create my superuser using the same name as my account name and the same password as well.

The Template0 db is used to restore template1. Using postgres access, any languages, users, functions, databases, etc... added to template1 will automatically appear in subsequent user databases. But, after you've created your database you can later use pgAdmin3 to add languages to specific databases inside it. What you actually create with the following command is sort of a database container, which is used to connect to every database which is created within it. I attached a graphic to show you my "jlkdb" database, which contains four actual databases.

and to create a database:
            postgres=# \help create database
            Command: CREATE DATABASE
            Description: create a new database
            Syntax:
            CREATE DATABASE name
            [ [ WITH ] [ OWNER [=] dbowner ]
            [ TEMPLATE [=] template ]
            [ ENCODING [=] encoding ]
            [ LC_COLLATE [=] lc_collate ]
            [ LC_CTYPE [=] lc_ctype ]
            [ TABLESPACE [=] tablespace ]
            [ CONNECTION LIMIT [=] connlimit ] ]

\CREATE DATABASE yourdbname (or acctname) WITH OWNER = yourname
            (or acctname) ... what ever additional settings you wish... ;

Now you can open pgAdmin3 and from that GUI, use the "connect to server" and use the database name created above to establish a connection, and do what you want to do.

Depending on what front ends you want to connect to your database you can find them in the repository. I have also included a graphical attachment listing all of the various drivers I use.
            Attached Files
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the guide Grey. Spent most of the night last night (after my son's football practice)
              panicking about my desktop at home and the 163 GiB .xsession-errors file

I had a long reply typed up for the trouble I was having getting my pg set up, but then... by reading my reply in preview, I saw my syntax errors and tried a few other things... long story much shorter... I have now created 'moto' as a user (i think SUPERUSER but not sure how to confirm), and a database 'cwoodtest'. I have successfully connected to the server through pgAdmin3 and will begin playing with it now

Thanks so much for help!

Oh and (edit)
              Originally posted by doctordruidphd
              I'm not an expert on this, but I did install it and get it working.
              It does work a little differently in ubuntu than red hat.

First thing is to make sure you have the postgres user.
              If so, then:
              su postgres
              Password:
              (which should be postgres, by default
              psql
              psql (8.4.4)
              Type "help" for help.

postgres-# \l <-- That's a backslash, lowercase L
              List of databases
              Name | Owner | Encoding | Collation | Ctype | Access privileges
              -----------+----------+----------+-------------+-------------+-----------------------
              phpwiki | postgres | UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
              postgres | postgres | UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
              template0 | postgres | UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | =c/postgres
              template1 | postgres | UTF8 | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | =c/postgres
              (4 rows)

That's what I got, but I have phpwiki installed. So you will probably have ony two lines.
              This install process should have run the initdb for you, but the files are in a slightly different location (/var/lib/postgresql/8.4/main)

Edit: Oh yes, to get phppgadmin to work, you need to change one of the lines in
              /etc/phppgadmin/config.inc.php from "true" to "false", so it reads:
              $conf['extra_login_security'] = false;
              at least for while you are still learning it.
              Thank you for the assistance as well. I used it to make sure i had actually created my db successfully

i now have 4 entries in '\l'
              Code:
              postgres=# \l
                               List of databases
                Name  | Owner  | Encoding | Collation |  Ctype  |  Access privileges  
               cwoodtest | moto   | UTF8   | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | 
               postgres | postgres | UTF8   | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | 
               template0 | postgres | UTF8   | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | =c/postgres
               template1 | postgres | UTF8   | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 | =c/postgres
              (4 rows)
              &quot;Life would be alot more fun if it had save points...&quot;

Comment

Working...
              X