This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I update a BIOS?

That's a question I always had but never asked. In this case I'll test it on PC with a P4 2 GHz CPU and Award something as its BIOS. What else should I tell you so you can help me with this issue?
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: How can I update a BIOS?

Originally posted by kyonides
    That's a question I always had but never asked. In this case I'll test it on PC with a P4 2 GHz CPU and Award something as its BIOS. What else should I tell you so you can help me with this issue?
    Hi....

If there isn't a pressing need to flash a BIOS, please don't! This is one way a person can very easily and quickly turn a perfectly good system into an oversized paperweight.

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

To start you off with somewhat of an answer:

1. find the latest BIOS from your mobo manufacturer - it'll probably be in the form of an exe >
      a) not sure how to do it without any form of M$, but you will succeed, if you ask google...
      2. alternatively and preferably check with www.openbios.org whether your hardware is supported and use their version rather than the proprietary version
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

[quote=ardvark71 ]
        Originally posted by kyonides
        This is one way a person can very easily and quickly turn a perfectly good system into an oversized paperweight.
        This was my result of my first experience attempting to "Hot Flash" from linux. In the end I bought an updated bios chip. No rookie to doing it on windows I didn't think twice of trying it. Now I'll put it on my last resort list as in very last resort.

I think it may have worked better for me if I'd tried building a live dos cd with the rom files on it. I'd even consider wiping the box and installing windows long enough to flash it before I tried it from linux.

All I can provide is a how not to! I'd made a backup as recommended but the backup wouldn't flash back error was mismatch checksum or something like that.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by toad
          ...a) not sure how to do it without any form of M$, but you will succeed, if you ask google...
          You do it by inserting the BIOS update into a DOS floppy disk image, burning that to CD or thumb drive and booting the machine from that. Most DOS images don't include USB drivers so a CD is generally your best bet.

As others have said don't flash your BIOS just because there's a newer version out there - you flash BIOS because there's a need to do it.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

For Intel boards, easy as pie. Have done it many times, especially after a new build.
            Many methods:
            http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-022312.htm
            The newer ISO method is particularly nice:
            http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-023359.htm

If your PC works as you want it to, there is NO need to update BIOS (and there could be some risk, but others will tell you that they always safely keep the latest BIOS version on their boards without problems). You would update your BIOS only to acquire added functionality you need that your current BIOS version doesn't support.

Added:
            Btw, Intel has a recovery method, too, that you should prepare (CD) before updating BIOS in case something does go wrong. Very important.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

OK, then I'd update the BIOS without making a backup first!

Just kidding!
              Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
              Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
              Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
              Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Working...
              X