This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded to KDE 4.5.1, Mystery lines on Desktop [SOLVED]

Upgraded to KDE 4.5.1, and after I rebooted after a bad install (used KpackageKit, should have used Synaptic!) I noticed these lines on my desktop. I can't figure out how to to get rid of them!

[img width=400 height=250]http://www.scottyk.net/snapshot1.png[/img]

Link to full picture for the hard of seeing..

http://www.scottyk.net/snapshot1.png
    Ideas??

Re: Upgraded to KDE 4.5.1, Mystery lines on Desktop

Looks almost like a plasmoid that has installed, but fails to display properly. Right click the desktop, open the "add widgets" and click the "running" button & see if there is something running that shouldn't be there.

You might also try closing down all the applications and plasmoids, then use CTRL-ESC to bring up the task manager & see if there is something running that shouldn't be.

Also, upgrades to kde have, in the past, produced processes trying to chew up cpu time. Run top & see if something like that is going on. If it is, you can kill the process and restart X; that has always fixed it here.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Re: Upgraded to KDE 4.5.1, Mystery lines on Desktop

Plasmoids looked normal, and didn't see any unusual activity in the task manager.

(Didn't know about the CTRL-ESC command, thanks!)

I decided to create a new user account to see if that line also shows up.

However in the System Settings/Start-up & Shutdown/Session Management I found an option for "start with an empty session" on Login. Selected that, logged back out and in, and problem solved.

Comment

Re: Upgraded to KDE 4.5.1, Mystery lines on Desktop [SOLVED]

You can use apt-get (in konsole) or Muon (GUI), the latter is already available on the official repositories.
        Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
        Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
        Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Working...
        X