This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

openoffice confusion

Hello everyone. Having a great time with kubuntu and linux in general, but inevitably I am having a issue...
    to be blunt, how the heck do i get open office installed? i can't seem to find any good step by step guides on it, or the ones I find talk about moving files/ deleting files that do not exist. Alternatively, the mention a lot of terminal commands without reference, making it very difficult to follow. Does anyone know a easier way to install Openoffice or know of a good guide?

As always, i appreciate any help.
    humans will either learn to live sustainably - or not.

Re: openoffice confusion

If you installed Kubuntu you already have open office

kmenu->office->choose the one you want (writer, calc, presentation)

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Hi...

Open Office should already be installed, just click on the "K" start button on your toolbar, then "Applications, then "Office." It should be listed there.

If not, click on the "K" start button again, then click on "Applications," then "System," then "Software Management," (it will say "KpackageKit" underneath.) In the white box near the top that says "search packages," type in "openoffice." There will be many packages to choose from but if you just download the ones that say "word processor" or "arch-independent files," the package manager should also download everything you will need.

To download a file just click on the blue arrow button, then click "Apply." You might have to give your password before it will continue.

Hope this helps.

Regards...
      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I have a question about OpenOffice also.

I noticed that in the Windows version, if you download and install the complete versions, you'll get six programs -

Base
        Calc
        Draw
        Impress
        Math
        Writer.

Looking at Kubuntu in the kickoff menu, I only see three options in the Office.

Presentation (Impress)
        Spreadsheet (Calc)
        Word Processor (Writer)

How can I get the full package like I have on the windows computer? I looked under KPackageKit but saw a lot of language packs. Thanks!

Comment

OpenOffice packages by name:

openoffice.org-writer (Word processor)
          openoffice.org-calc (Spreadsheet)
          openoffice.org-impress (Presentation)
          openoffice.org-draw (Drawing)
          openoffice.org-base (Database)
          openoffice.org-math (Equation editor)
          openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev (Mobile Devices filters)
          openoffice.org-filter-binfilter (legacy filters (e.g. StarOffice 5.2))

You can also install openoffice.org which will install those items not already installed.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

From the openoffice.org meta package:

office productivity suite

OpenOffice.org is a full-featured office productivity suite that provides
            a near drop-in replacement for Microsoft(R) Office.

This metapackage installs all components of openoffice.org:
            * openoffice.org-writer: Word processor
            * openoffice.org-calc: Spreadsheet
            * openoffice.org-impress: Presentation
            * openoffice.org-draw: Drawing
            * openoffice.org-base: Database
            * openoffice.org-math: Equation editor
            * openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev: Mobile Devices filters
            * openoffice.org-filter-binfilter: legacy filters (e.g. StarOffice 5.2)

You can extend the functionality of OpenOffice.org by installing these
            packages:
            * hunspell-dictionary-*/myspell-dictionary-*: Hunspell/Myspell dictionaries
            for use with OpenOffice.org
            * openoffice.org-l10n-*: UI interface translation
            * openoffice.org-help-*: User help
            * openoffice.org-thesaurus-*: Thesauri for the use with OpenOffice.org
            * openoffice.org-hyphenation-*: Hyphenation patterns for OpenOffice.org
            * openoffice.org-gtk: Gtk UI Plugin, GNOME File Picker support,
            QuickStarter for GNOMEs notification are
            * openoffice.org-gnome: GNOME VFS, GConf backend
            * openoffice.org-kde: KDE UI Plugin and KDE File Picker support
            * menu: Will add openoffice.org menu entries for every Debian window manager.
            * unixodbc: ODBC database support
            * cups-bsd: Allows OpenOffice.org to detect your CUPS printer queues
            automatically
            * libsane: Use your sane-supported scanner with OpenOffice.org
            * libxrender1: Speed up display by using Xrender library
            * libgl1: OpenGL support
            * openclipart-openoffice.org: Open Clip Art Gallery with OOo index files
            * iceweasel | firefox | icedove | thunderbird | iceape-browser | mozilla-browser:
            Mozilla profile with Certificates needed for XML Security...
            * openjdk-6-jre | gcj-jre | java5-runtime:
            Java Runtime Environment for use with OpenOffice.org
            * pstoedit / imagemagick: helper tools for EPS thumbnails
            * gstreamer0.10-plugins-*: GStreamer plugins for use with OOos media backend
            * libpaper-utils: papersize detection support via paperconf
            * libldap-2.4-2: LDAP client library; needed for OOo getting its profiles
            from LDAP
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi Snowhog and Greygeek...

Thank you for the posts, I was able to download some of these myself.

Regards...
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

The reason all of them are not on the install CD is because, collectively, they'd take more than 1/3rd of the 680Mb CD space, so usually just the writer, and sometimes the calc, are included. The base app rarely is on most distros I've used, but it is my favorite part of the app so I always install it and the drivers for the various database engines.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X