This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mouse Causes Boot Fail - Plymouth Flash Screen

Intel DP55KG Quad Core running 32 bit w/Nvidia 9800GTX running Lucid. If I'm careful and don't touch the mouse, the machine will boot okay 15 times in a row typically. If I touch the mouse, the machine goes into a hard lock right after the POST screen. Requires hardware reset to restore.

I'm getting to hate this plymouth splash front end. Machine run flawlessly once booted. I redid Grub 2 to turn on as much boot tracing as I could. The messages on the screen often change from one boot to another. They go by pretty quick and I haven't tried to record them.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Re: Mouse Causes Boot Fail - Plymouth Flash Screen

What type of mouse connection, USB or PS/2? If USB it could be the mouse is going bad or the USB port though the latter I've seen only on external USB HUBs. The same could be said for PS/2 as well. If you have another mouse I'd try that first.

Don't know what issues you are having with Plymouth, but this should help, it did for me.
    http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2010...ricted-driver/

Comment

I had some weird boot problems associated with a web cam. Try turning off the ability to boot to USB devices in your bios and see if anything changes.

Those messages should be contained in a log file - /var/log/messages

Please Read Me

Comment

Problem solved, I think. Went into bios and disabled "Allow Boot From USB". This is a brand new machine with keyboard and mouse USB connected. When I move/bump the mouse now during boot, the machine goes out in the weeds like before but comes back in 10 seconds or so and completes a successful boot. Before, it would go out in the weeds and stay there. Apparently, with the option enabled, if Kubuntu see anything on the USB ports during boot it stays locked there and, of course can not complete a successful boot?

Comment

You might did a little further into your bios and maybe you can stop the visits to the weeds altogether... In my case I just unplugged the webcam and plug it in when needed after booting up.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X