This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tar.bz2 and tar.bz

Hell, I don't know. Is there anyway that someone can convert it to a .deb file for me and send it to me? That would be awesome, and much appreciated!

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
    Looks like you may have a bad download. That happens. Try downloading it again.
    "All. Senior. Citizens. Should. Have. Life. Alert."

Comment

I tried d/ling both zbattle.net files, the normal one and the static one. Both d/led ok and extracted ok (right-click the file in Dolphin and select "Extract archive here, Autodetect subfolder").
      Simply copy the files from the archive to the folder where zsnes is installed, no .deb needed.
      Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

To add to what everyone else has said ...

There is one SURE way to infect your Linux box with malware: download an alien tarball, compile it, and then do "make install" as root, which is what many tarball howto's ask you do to.

If you persist or want to learn how then I would first install rkhunter and chkrootkit and learn how to use them. Run them first before you download a tarball. Do your tarball work. Run them again and check their output and logs to see if they found anything suspicious.

Another thing you can do is learn how to create a chroot jail and do all your playing around inside it. There are ways to jail break but it is hard to do. Install debootstrap and schroot and follow the somewhat dated instructions here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebootstrapChroot

Or, a more recent set of instructions, that will require slight modifications, here:
        http://blog.mfabrik.com/2010/08/03/r...-memory-usage/

IF you don't want to do the complications of chroot or bother with rkhunter or chkrootkit then install VirtualBox and as a guest OS install Kubuntu inside it and do all of your tar ball work in the guest OS. If you encounter malware just close the guest OS, delete it and reinstall another instance.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X