This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Cant install 10.04.1

Hi everyone, first post in the forum here, i took some time to look around and quickly realize i would never find what i was looking for. Lemme give you a quick background of what type of newb you're dealing with here. I'm not a TOTAL newb im working on a homebuilt PC:

Desktop PC - Windows 7 (32 bit)
    Intel Core 2 Duo (32 Bit)
    NVidia GeForce 9500 GT
    2 GB - RAM
    1 - 320 GB HD
    1 - Sony DVD/CD Read Write Optical Drive

I'll be starting school in September for computer networking and technical support. Once i got my schedule i realized one of my first classes would be: Introduction to Unix/Linux. Assuming i could get a head start in learning the basics i went ahead and downloaded Kubuntu 10.04.1 (32 bit) and burned the image file to DVD. I then shrank a volume (30 GB) for the install. Restarted the PC and booted from the DVD and all seemed to move along perfectly, i was asked to select a language (english) then i had the options such as: Try Kubuntu without changing your PC and Install Kubuntu. I selected install Kubuntu and Recieved a command prompt with the following message:

(initramfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on //filesystem.squashfs failed: input/output error

Any help at all would make my week. If you need ANY additional information, just ask

Thanks in advance, Frank.

Re: Cant install 10.04.1

Prolly you made a coaster. Check out #1 on the "Top 20" in my signature. Burn it as slow as you can next time, and you may get a better result.

Comment

Like Dibl said ...

It's usually a good idea, even IF the DVD passes the diagnostic option on the LiveCD menu, to actually run the LiveCD and see how it runs on your hardware. If it "just works out of the box" then you can click the install option icon on the desktop and install it from the LiveCD. IF the LiveCD passed the diagnostic checkout but you have some problems with, say, your video or wireless, then you should try to get those resolved before you attempt to install it.

BTW, you CAN "install" apps from the repository while running the LiveCD, if you have enough RAM. Neither the LiveCD nor those apps will touch the HD so you don't have to worry about messing up what's on it.

IF, for example, you notice that your wireless doesn't work. You plug in an ethernet cat5 cable from the back of your modem or wireless to your ETH0 port on your box and then you go to the menu option: KGear --> System --> Hardware driver. It will check out your wireless and (usually) download the appropriate firmware and driver to get your wireless going so you can make your wireless Internet connection. If "Hardware Drivers" doesn't work you can go to
      http://wireless.kernel.org/ and navigate to a solution.

Or, say your printer isn't recognized. With either the ETH0 or wireless connection you go to http://www.openprinting.org/printers and find your driver.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It's usually a good idea, even IF the DVD passes the diagnostic option on the LiveCD menu, to actually run the LiveCD and see how it runs on your hardware.
        This is the best idea for new users I've ever read.

In the start of the testing cycle I always make sure I can run the LiveCD or "Try Ubuntu" as the menu states. Then I check a few logs to see whats happening.

So your best bet is to "Try Ubuntu/Kubunt" first. Once booted there is a "Install ..." icon on your Desktop to install from there.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

Thanks a lot for the help, I'll be sure to try that. as for burning it a bit too fast, by default i have it set to 1x because i usually burn while i go for a smoke or something so i doubt thats the cause. Thanks everyone, i'll try this hopefully tomorrow and ill get back to you as soon as i have some news to report.

Thanks, Frank.

Comment

Welcome to the party (almost )

Have a look here:
            http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...errors-808450/

or try the alternate cd:
            http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download#alternate-cd

also try burning to a cd instead of DVD. I did that once and it didn't work on my machine.

Hope that helps
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              Prolly you made a coaster. Check out #1 on the "Top 20" in my signature. Burn it as slow as you can next time, and you may get a better result.
              The most likely cause for bad burns which can only be used as coasters is not burning too fast, but using a writeable CD or Dvd with pitiful quality. A lot of people always buy the cheapest crap they can get there and then are astonished that they have that much coasters.
              Don't do that. Go buy good quality writeables, e.g. Verbatim. Other precautions:
              - Use the latest version of K3b, which is 2.0.1.
              - Make sure that "Verify written data" is checked.
              - When booting from the CD or Dvd, use the option to check the install media.

Following all that, I never had any problems, even though I always burn at full speed.
              Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

My advice would be to use an intermediate speed. At 1x, with a modern DVD, you might well have boiled off too much, at "full speed" for your burner, you might not boil off enough. I burn 16x DVDs at 8x, and 24x CD-Rs at 16x. Always, check your MD5 sums, beforehand on the .iso file and afterwards on the burnt disk.

I agree with Yuri that "bargain" CDRs are not a bargain, if you add in mental anguish (let alone the fact that your paying double the price, if you have to redo the burn on another disk).

Comment

I just managed to get it working, i believe a file was corrupted when i downloaded the file, because after exhausting the other options i just re-downloaded and re-burned it and it worked fine. Thanks a lot for all your help! Solved.

Thanks, Frank.

Comment

Working...
                  X