X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Browsing too slow

Hi,

Since last month going online keeps getting slower and slower. Loading pages takes way too long lately.
    I'm using Chromium and Google Chrome occasionally. It's definitely not because of my internet connection...
    I can download off torrents with 12mbps without problems. I got a split on my connection and have 2 IPs allocated on the same cable connection but on the other PC (running windows xp ironically) Chromium is lightning fast.
    Any way I can fix this?

Thanks,
    ElWray
    Core 2 Quad Q6600<br />4 GB RAM<br />GeForce 9800 GTX<br />Hitachi Deskstar 1TB<br />Seagate 250 GB<br /><br />Triple-booting Gentoo, Crunchbang &amp; Windows 7

Re: Browsing too slow

just 1 suspicion hear......do you have a bunch of torrents seeding/downloading on the box that's slow ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Nope, I don't keep the client running usually
      Core 2 Quad Q6600<br />4 GB RAM<br />GeForce 9800 GTX<br />Hitachi Deskstar 1TB<br />Seagate 250 GB<br /><br />Triple-booting Gentoo, Crunchbang &amp; Windows 7

Comment

Is it the same in other browsers? That would be worth checking IMO. Chromium did that on my machine too. That thread is here. Also the Chromium memory leak is discussed here.

Comment

Tried firefox now and yeah, still slow. Konqueror ain't much faster either and some pages aren't displayed properly there. Right now Chrome (not chromium) is the fastest but still slow enough to put me to sleep on most sites.

Note: I also use Chrome on virtualbox (in windoze xp) and it's quite fast there.

Comment

Ctrl-Esc will show memory use (I guess you know anyway ) and you should have a decent amount of free memory and no swap being used. I dumped my swap and restarted Chromium and then both FF and Chromium got fast again.

Perhaps it is not relevant here, or any more, but I remember a long time ago having slow response because IPv6 was enabled.

Comment

sudo swapoff -a
              sudo swapon -a

That did the trick for me.
              Everything is pretty fast now.
              Chromium does seem to eat up a lot. I'll stick to Google Chrome instead.

Thanks
              ElWray

Comment

Originally posted by ElWray
                sudo swapoff -a
                sudo swapon -a
                That did the trick for me.
                Everything is pretty fast now.
                Chromium does seem to eat up a lot. I'll stick to Google Chrome instead.
                Thanks
                ElWray
                Great! After I posted, I just did the same. Yep, Chromium has some serious problem. It goes OK for a couple of days though.

Comment

Working...
                X