X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things I've Never been able to fix.

Hi Guys,

Hopefully someone out there will have some ideas about how to fix this annoyance i have always had since when i first started to use kubuntu about 18 months ago.

I have an ubuntu server running several samba share directories for media and such like. When my kubuntu laptop loses it's connection to these shares (which are mounted in the FSTAB file) , i.e the wireless signal goes out of range, the laptop will hang if i happen to be browsing the remote share in dolphin or another application like openoffice. If the wireless connection is re-established then the laptop unfreezes and carries on normally. Is there some sort of network timeout setting that can be altered somwhere? If this happens with my windows machine, it waits for about 10s and put's up a dialogue warning box abount not being able to connect to the share?

Thanks In Advance

Chris

2)

Re: Things I've Never been able to fix.

So you are loading media from the server to your laptop, using a wireless link? I personally had a fairly disastrous experience doing something like that -- if your wireless link is marginal, and a download gets crashed mid-stream, it can get ugly. I'm going to suggest that having the share(s) mounted in /etc/fstab is not the way to set up a wireless network connection, because when those "mounted" shares disappear, your system isn't going to know what happened, or how to recover. From your OS's perspective, it's pretty much the same thing as a hard drive failure. With samba, and wireless working (via standard wireless interface), you should be able to pop open Dolphin, find your samba shares, and do whatever you want with the contents.

Comment

I don't know if samba works like nfs but I have a nfs connection between my server and laptop and it's set to mount with FSTAB, and when the server is down for whatever reason, or I'm away from my home wireless network, I have issues with Dolphin too. To stop them all I have to do is unmount the share in the terminal. After that I don't have any of the Dolphin issues, and when the server is back up or I'm back home all I have to do is re-mount the share or reboot and it's back.
      Acer Aspire 5810TZ - Debian Sid (KDE 4.5.3)/Mac OS X 10.6.3<br />*Intel Pentium SU2700 @ 1.3GHz, 3 gig DDR3 RAM, Intel GMA x4500*<br /><br />Custom Desktop - Kubuntu 10.10 (KDE 4.6.1)<br />*2x Dual-Core Intel Xeon @3.2GHz, 3 gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT*<br /><br />iPod Touch 4th Gen - iOS 4.1 (Greenpois0n Jailbreak)<br />*

Comment

TN-048 - yes, unmounting the share works with me too but sometimes it is impossible to predict when your network connection is going to give out and once it's gone it's difficult to unmount because the laptop behaves like it has had treacle poured into the cpu.

dibl

tried doing as you have suggested, can successfully connect to my network shares using the samba part of dolphin and have set up shortcuts so that i can access parts of it quickly, so far so good. however, when i want to do something like listen to music or watch a film, kubuntu/dolphin or something decides to copy the file from the network to a temporary file in /var/temp/krun before playing. this is not acceptable as mounting the shares allowed me to stream direct from the network resource. is there any way of changing this?

Chris

Comment

Working...
        X