X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

editing usb file permissions

Hi,
    after some head scratching I edit permissions on a new USB stick formatted to ext2.
    A puzzle:
    when I issued the command
    chmod -R o+rwx /dev/sdb1
    The result was that ls -l /dev/sdb1 demonstrated permissions were changed (to 777) but I still could not write a file to the usb drive.

Finally, I issued the command instead:
    chmod 0777 -v -R -f /media/Mill
    And this succeeded. (Mill is the volume label). I'm better with alpha permissions but I copied the last command right from a Google hit.

Is it possible that when issuing file permissions using the device address (/dev/sdb1) that I've either done something stupid or something that just doesn't work? Does anyone know if this is either something I shouldn't have done, or can just explain why it didn't work? At this point everything seems okay but I spent an hour on that darned USB stick so maybe I can learn something else from this! Possibly it was just wrong for me to try to apply permissions to the partition (?) rather than to its mount point (?). BTW, any advice on handling a stick that is intended for different pc's and OS's (but all linux). I've got Kubuntu on my laptop and Fedora on my desktop and chose 777 as the simplest to get around different users and groups (?).

Cheers.
    Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Re: editing usb file permissions

Okay, turns out my USB's mount as root no matter what I do. I'm back to the drawing board. I'm assuming that there's something about hot-plugging my usb's that mounts the drive with root access only and ignores the file permissions set in the file system on the USB (which, btw, is a linux ext2 fs). Probably something in udev (?). Funny, I don't remember this happening last time I formatted a USB stick for my desktop.
    Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad R52, Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE)<br />Desktop: Lenovo Thinkcentre, Fedora 13 (Gnome)

Comment

Working...
    X