This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bar of minimized programs gone

I did something, not sure what, and now the bar showing all minimized programs, and the Kmenu button are gone. Any good suggestions on how to put entire bar at the bottom of screen back to default?

Re: bar of minimized programs gone

the bar is called a panel.

rite click the desktop and add panel ...........then you will probably nead to add the widget's back to the blank panel.....rite click the blank panel and then add widgets...........I beleve the default's are...... digital clock,system tray, task manager,quick access,application launcher.

or rename /home/you/.kde to .kdeold log out and back in and you will have a default setup but all setting's you have changed will be gone.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

What Vinney said, but first make sure it isn't just minimized -- a very small tab on the left or right edge of the screen.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

aaaa yes forgot about the hide/auto hide feature :P

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You can enable or disable the autohide feature by clicking on the little inverted comma (called the "cashew") at the right end of the panel, and then clicking on "more settings".

Comment

Using the add panel feature is for sure the simplest way of doing this.
            Make sure your widgets are unlocked with right-click desktop->unlock widgets then do as vinnie suggested.

If you are using kde4.5 you can also use the new panel->new default panel feature

IMHO, instead of renaming .kde, as this will also get rid of other settings (dolphin, kontact, etc) you can also just get new plasma settings:

Reset only the plasma desktop

1) Stop the plasma
            Code:
            kquitapp plasma-desktop

The applications that are not using the plasma-desktop are still working: Krunner (Alt+F2), Dolphin, Konqueror, Konsole, ...

2) Rename the plasma config files:

Code:
            ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-appletsrc
            Code:
            ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc
            Code:
            ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktoprc
            Code:
            ~/.kde/share/config/plasmarc
            3) Restart the plasma:
            Code:
            plasma-desktop
            This should reset the plasma-desktop to the default.

Hope this helps
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

This 10.4 installation is only a couple of days old. I too am puzzled as to where "minimized" windows go. I have "minimized" Firefox several times to check on some other program, and can't find the minimized window. All I can figure to do is to open Firefox again (it shows something like "Firefox (3)").

I've clicked the cashews, scanned over the panel options and the "Add Widgets" list, but don't see anything relating to minimized windows.

Edit: I should add that when I open Amarok its icon appears in the bottom panel. It stay there when I minimize Amarok, and offers a "Restore" option with a right click. It seems to be the only application that does this.
              -- Werdigo49
              Registered Linux User #291592
              Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

Comment

Originally posted by werdigo49
                This 10.4 installation is only a couple of days old. I too am puzzled as to where "minimized" windows go. I have "minimized" Firefox several times to check on some other program, and can't find the minimized window. All I can figure to do is to open Firefox again (it shows something like "Firefox (3)").

I've clicked the cashews, scanned over the panel options and the "Add Widgets" list, but don't see anything relating to minimized windows.

Edit: I should add that when I open Amarok its icon appears in the bottom panel. It stay there when I minimize Amarok, and offers a "Restore" option with a right click. It seems to be the only application that does this.
                You need to make sure you have the Task Manager widget added to your panel. You have the System Tray widget still, that is where you are seeing Amarok

Comment

Thanks, Clay... I have it now. (It shows that i have 8 Firefox's open!)
                  -- Werdigo49
                  Registered Linux User #291592
                  Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

Comment

That's because you do have 8 instances of FireFox open. You need to add the "Task Manager" plasmoid to your panel. Then the application that are open will show on the panel in that plasmoid.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                    X