This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compositing can't activate opengl

Everything worked fine with compositing... until I tried to install a game (flatout2) under wine.
    After that compositing works only with XRender which is slooooow.
    If I try to switch to opengl I get an error saying something like:
    with the current settings compositing can't be activated, check your X settings etc.

Any clues?

thanks, Laci

Re: compositing can't activate opengl

More infos about your system would be helpful, and which vga driver you are using.
    Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Ok, I have a Ubuntu 64bit Host System, on top of that I run Kubuntu 10.04 in VMWare Player.

Compositing ran without any configuration "out of the box". After installing and de-installing FlatOut2 (a game) in Wine, I can only activate compositing with Xrender. OpenGL can't be activated anymore.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
      lacigas

Comment

Originally posted by lacigas
        Ok, I have a Ubuntu 64bit Host System, on top of that I run Kubuntu 10.04 in VMWare Player.

Compositing ran without any configuration "out of the box". After installing and de-installing FlatOut2 (a game) in Wine, I can only activate compositing with Xrender. OpenGL can't be activated anymore.
        No wonder it doesn't work. You really shouldn't run Wine inside Vmware (or Virtualbox), that's just asking for trouble - you're pretty much running an emulator inside an emulator.
        Either install Kubuntu properly besides Ubuntu (or install kde-full so you have it as a separate desktop) if you want to run Wine, or run Windows itself inside Vmware or Virtualbox.
        Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear:

1. Host system is Ubuntu 64bit.
          2. On the host system I have several vmware Images running. Among them is a 32bit Kubuntu 10.04 image.
          3. Compositing ran fine on the Kubuntu Vmware image.
          4. Then I installed FlatOut2 on the Ubuntu host (not in the vm!). The game ran fine but networking didn't work, that's why I uninstalled it again.
          5. After that Compositing in the Kubuntu Vmware image only worked with Xrender. OpenGl couldn't be activated anymore.

Thanks for your help,
          lacigas

Comment

Having two emulators installed side by side isn't a good idea either. It seems they're negatively affecting each other somehow.
            You can try re-installing Vmware and see if it runs better. Or, you could comepletely uninstall Vmware and clean out any residues left behind by it and see if Wine runs any better then.

Comment

Working...
            X