This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help a noob with installing.

To say I’m new at this is a vast understatement. My current desktop is out of commission, which is why I’m in need of a new OS. Because of this I don’t have a DVD burner. Yesterday I downloaded what I thought was a Kubuntu ISO with the intent of copying it to my usb drive and installing it on my desktop from there. My laptop is recognizing the downloaded file as a zip file. Do I need to unzip this file and create an ISO from everything in there, Is the zip file actualy an ISO meaning I just copy the zip file to my thumb drive, or something else?

Re: help a noob with installing.

You can't just 'copy' the .iso file to the USB. The .iso file must be 'burned' using software that will write to CD (or DVD if you downloaded the alternate .iso - you'll know, because the size of the .iso 'alternate' is over a gibabyte). If you need to create a bootable thumbdrive (USB Stick), there is software that will do this. I'm at work, but search the forum here, as there are howto's on doing just that.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok so the new plan is to use Unetbootin to create a bootable usb, and load that on my desktop. Note, my desktop currently does not have a functioning OS, I only have bios.

Does this sound like it will work?

also, Eventhough i do not have a DVD burner at my disposal currently I do have a CD burner, would it be possible/easier to make a load disc with that?

Comment

Originally posted by giser3546
        Ok so the new plan is to use Unetbootin to create a bootable usb, and load that on my desktop. Note, my desktop currently does not have a functioning OS, I only have bios.

Does this sound like it will work?
        yes it should.......as long as your BIOS will boot USB/removable drives

also, Eventhough i do not have a DVD burner at my disposal currently I do have a CD burner, would it be possible/easier to make a load disc with that?
        yes dowload the .ISO img from hear http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

then burn as ISO not data and then boot it

I dont know what your using to burn with but you should use a slow speed when burning a bootable ISO ........good luck

allso make shure the BIOS is set to boot cd first or floppy,cd,HD,whatever.

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I downloaded that image file. The download was a zip file, which extracted in to several files and folders. Will i need to create an image from these files and folders or will that be done when i create the bootable USB?

Comment

@giser: ok.. u are saying it was a zip file.
            i think what exactly happening is this:
            u probably using windows for downloading the iso file. u have winrar or 7zip installed on that machine. these programs have *.iso in their default opening files. which means.. whenever u will "open" any iso file.. it will be unzipped.

but here.. u want to create a bootable image on usb. so normal copy paste wont work.
            here i what u can do.

1. copy .iso file to pendrive. plug it in working computer having working cd drive. burn this iso image on cd using nero or similar application. boot in same computer using this live cd.
            once u r in kubuntu, press Alt+F2. enter "usb" in the command box. a application named usb creator will be displayed. click on it. and now u can create a usb.

Simpler way:
            2. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux...-the-easy-way/
            asus A52N
            Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
            AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
            windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

I downloaded that image file. The download was a zip file, which extracted in to several files and folders. Will i need to create an image from these files and folders or will that be done when i create the bootable USB?
              Download the Live USB tool from here

Code:
              http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
              this will make ur USB bootable. Change the bios boot options and u will boot in live Kubuntu and u can install it from there. ISO image is recognized by winrar and winzip both so it will show as zip file but actually it is ISO image u need not worry for that. Make sure your downloaded ISO image has the same name as required in USB tool that u have downloaded.

Comment

Working...
              X