This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual boot acer netbook - new install has no network connections

I have never used Linux so I don't know where to start. I just install Kubuntu for netbooks 10.04 on my new Windows7 netbook, an Acer AOD260 with the N475 atom processor & 250 GB hard drive.

After figuring out how to do the install from a USB memory stick, I can boot from either OS. However the Kubuntu does not show any network connection even though I have a wired connection that works fine under windows7. I saw a couple wireless networks with windows, not mine so I haven't yet used wi-fii on the new netbook, but still nothing I can find with Kubuntu.

An engineer/ Linux user at work is suggesting I should try the Ubuntu Remix instead of Kubuntu but for some reason I tried the Kubuntu, knowing nothing about different distributions. If Ubuntu would run with no problems, I may yet try that instead.

Re: dual boot acer netbook - new install has no network connections

1) Look in your Menu to find an item called "Hardware Drivers". Does anything show when you click it? If it does then you are in luck. Click "Enable". It can be slow and take a little while. Reboot.

2) Look at "Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers" - http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0 . Scroll down to "#8. Networking Issues: 8.a. Wireless Doesn't Work..."

3) If all else fails, open Konsole Terminal and issue the command: lspci
    What appears against : Network Controller ?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

hi i have an em250. (unbranded version of your netbook) try installing using jockey (look in your kmenu) to see if you have any drivers to install you should have both the broadcom driver and a firmware cutter to install in order for your wifi to work properly.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Ok, first, I can't find a menu or kmenu. I don't know where to look.

I was able to find Konsole & lspci gave me:

Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications AR8152 v1.1 Fast Ethernet (rev c1)
        Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Device 4727 (rev 01)

ifconfig gave me:

Link encap: Local Loopback
        inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask 255.0.0.0
        inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
        UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
        RX packets: ... etc.

I did not see anything that mentioned the eth0

I tried the kdesudo kate ....& got

auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback

I also tried running Ubuntu for netbooks from a USB stick, not installing, & I still had no network in Ubuntu as well.
        Does any of this tell us what needs to be done?

Comment

I found hardware drivers using the "Search and launch". It says "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system." and the boxes are empty.

Comment

Working...
          X