Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I lost my GUI. Checked under the couch cushions to no avail.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lost my GUI. Checked under the couch cushions to no avail.

Hey, I'm pretty new to all this and made the switch to Kubuntu after growing up with macs.
    I installed Kubuntu 10.04 on my machine about 6 weeks ago, and only just got it connected to the net. I ran all the usual updates and downloaded the nVidia driver that the system utility choose for me.

Restarted my machine and not I can't get my GUI back. It goes to the GNU Grub which takes me to the console where I can log in and give commands, but I don't really know what I'm doing.

I've attempted a few fixes after spending time scanning through the forums for people who have had similar problems, but haven't come across a solution. I'm also nervous about getting adventurous as I don't know what I'm doing well enough to not risk screwing something up.

Very keen to learn.
    If there is any more useful info I could provide please let me know.

Re: I lost my GUI. Checked under the couch cushions to no avail.

Did you check the refrigerator!

Check this thread out.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ah, thanks for the link. It seemed a little over my head while skimming it, but I'll go through it with a fine tooth comb when I get up in the morning.

No luck in the fridge, and it ain't in my other jacket's pocket either.

Comment

No luck in the fridge
        That's good news, you aren't suffering from Sometimers.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Sounds like the nvidia driver messed things up big time, once again.
          You could try if the free driver is working better there.
          Use this in the command line to get rid of any nvidia drivers and install the free ones:

sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia* -a
          sudo apt-get install nouveau

Perhaps it's rolled under the cupboard... you could use a broomstick to poke around under the cupboard.
          Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Working...
          X