This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help loading Real Player for LInux

I have been tring to load a player on Kubuntu. To veiw some of my files . on another site... CAN SOME ONE HELP ME PLEASE!!!! Every tim I run the download in the terminal window it tells me " cant find HOST!!... I need Some help here.......Please

Re: Need help loading Real Player for LInux

Why not install it the easy way by using Adept?

Comment

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to do. Are you trying to download the files from the other site? If so what program are you using to do it? Are you trying to copy files from another computer on your home network? If the "can't find host" message is showing up in a console, the first word of the message is the name of the program that can't find the host. That name would be extremely useful in trying to solve your problem.

Comment

Thank you I will get all the information i am recieving when i try to load Real Player ... The Download said this was an Executable file .. but i havent workeds with Linux long and this is the file it says is executable... RealPlayer10.5Gold.bin...when i look after the download it says it an Executable... and to Run it in the command line as RealPlayer10.5Gold.bin...I thought an executable had an exe exstension.. Can you help me sir....HELP PLEASE Its driving me crazy....

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
          There is not a Real Player Aplication In ADEPT

Comment

It's only in windoze that most executable files have the extension .exe. In Linux, an executable can be named anything the author wants to name it. Where is the file? Is it in your /home/joegr/Desktop folder? Or, perhaps, you have a /home/joegr/downloads folder. In any event, the procedure is the same.
            1) Start a konsole: (K>System>konsole). Then give the following commands:
            Code:
            cd /home/joegr/Desktop/  <---- or wherever the file is located
            . ./RealPlayer10.5Gold.bin  <---- that's (dot)<space>(dot)(slash)name of file
            The reason for the confusing and obscure notation is two-fold: Unix was written by boring old f___s like me who can't type and so Linux commands from Unix are short. Second, as a safety precaution, Unix and Linux, won't recognize executables from directories that the user is in without a special notation. So the first dot says execute this file. The second dot says this directory. The slash separates the directory name from the file name and then you have the file name. But, because BOFs like me can't type, you don't have to type as much as you otherwise would, You can probably get away with the command "(dot)(space)(dot)(slash)Rea<tab> and the rest of the filename will be filled out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by joegr
              Originally posted by Rob
              I actually added the line ....
              deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
              to my apt sources. I then was able to install RealPlayer, Flash, Adobe Reader, Windows Codecs and libdvdcss all through adept. I then disabled that line since it is not a true dapper repository. Everything seems to work great.

Paul

Comment

Btw, as far as I know, in Dapper Kaffeine can also play Real Media video formats, as long as you have w32codecs installed (and libxine-extracodecs, too, I think).
                Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_Vandenberg
                  Originally posted by joegr
                  Originally posted by Rob
                  I actually added the line ....
                  deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org etch main
                  to my apt sources. I then was able to install RealPlayer, Flash, Adobe Reader, Windows Codecs and libdvdcss all through adept. I then disabled that line since it is not a true dapper repository. Everything seems to work great.

Paul
                  Exsplain to me how i can install windows codecs i need please!!

Comment

You can get the instructions for the windows codecs here:
                    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...74003fde7daed5

Just simple copy-paste in Konsole.
                    copy and run the first line first. after it finishes downloading, then copy and run the second line.
                    Jucato&#39;s Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato

copy and run the first line first. after it finishes downloading, then copy and run the second line.
                      Question can I do this from the KDE teminal under the services menue??
                      I dont want to crash my system!!!
                      Please can you give me spacific instructions I am a new user and had a hard time getting things to this point .....Please help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jucato

Sorry to bother you so much but I have the Application executable file downloaded to my desktop... but ther is no application to load it...
                        I thought you might want to know this and see if this may be of help to give me further instructions on how to get it Running....
                        Thanks

Comment

Hmm, ok maybe it isn't in your Adept because you don't have all the extra repositories enabled.  To enable the repositories go here: http://kubnewb.blogspot.com/2006/06/...tories-in.html

Then search for realplayer in Adept and you should find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                            Hmm, ok maybe it isn't in your Adept because you don't have all the extra repositories enabled.  To enable the repositories go here: http://kubnewb.blogspot.com/2006/06/...tories-in.html

Then search for realplayer in Adept and you should find it.
                            I need to ask you I have 6.06 update would this have updated the repositories you are talking about... when you update from 5.10 to 6.06??

Comment

Working...
                            X