X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin send file to Editor

Hi
    is it possible to create a keyboard shortcut so that the file(s) that is (are) selected in dolphin get sent to an editor (Kate)?

thanks for your help
    lacigas

Re: Dolphin send file to Editor

I haven't tried Dolphin, but it seems to me that you can right click on the file and chose open with -> kate. If you want some other editor, put it in the menu there. I just tried it with Konqueror and it works there. I normally use the command line for that kind of stuff just to save time and avoid any learning curve. You can type "kate" on the command line too.

Comment

Thanks for your answer but I don't want to use the mouse, I want a keyboard shortcut. I use this very often, so a right click and navigation through a menu is to slow.
      What I want is to mark a file and hit F4 and the file should be in Kate ;-)

Laci

Comment

I have not made the kate shortcut that your are looking for, but I would think it possible. Two things that I would start with:

1. Settings > Configure Dolphin > Services > Install Downloaded and look at the choices there -- there may be something suitable already made -- look at the "service menu" items.

2. Settings > Configure Shortcuts and see what it takes to define a keyboard shortcut that will launch kate (look at the one that launches Konsole -- use it for an example).

Hope this helps.

Comment

I tried that before but installing new services didn't work.
          So I started dolphin from a konsole and I get the following error (first I had an error about ruby not found - I installed that):
          knewstuff konnte nicht gefunden werden

which means that knewstuff could not be found.

Any idea what to do
          Laci

Comment

Which KDE version do you have installed? I should have mentioned that I have KDE 4.5 RC, which may have additional features not in KDE 4.4.

Comment

I'm using kubuntu 10.04 and Kde is version 4.4.2.

Comment

In the meantime I installed KDE 4.4.5. When I try to install a service in dolphin, I get
                Object::connect No such slot KNS3::Installation::slotProgress(KJob*, unsigned long)
                dolphin(1761)/knewstuff (api): Command failed.

Any clues?

Laci

Comment

On my KDE 4.5 system, I installed Kubicle's "Root Action" menu item, just to test it, and there was no error.

If you google your error, there are a couple of hits, but I can't decipher them -- one looks like it might be a patch.

Comment

I tried the same on a different machine, also running kubuntu 10.04. Same problem.
                    Then I upgraded to KDE 4.5, tried again, still won't work.

The error I get now is: dolphin(6158)/knewstuff (api): Command failed

Any clues?

L.

Comment

Working...
                    X