This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.1 Surround on Dapper

Before i start, i know this has been asked millions of times, but i have spend months at google and searching these forums but i still cannot find out how to get 5.1 surround sound!

I have an AMD 4200+ on an Asus A8N-E motherboard that has an AC97 7.1 onboard sound card, i have Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers that work great under windoze, i am using kubuntu Dapper.

assume i have done nothing to alter my sound settings and still have limited knowledge of Linux.

Can somebody please help me out.

Thankyou guys

Re: 5.1 Surround on Dapper

I'm in the same situation as you, i have almost the same sound card (it's 5.1) and the exact same speakers. The answer is you can't, not with that sound card. The problem lies in the fact that the onboard AC'97 isn't capable of hardware surround sound, and on the other hand the linux drivers aren't capable of software surround sound (the windows ones are). The only solution is to buy a sound card that has hardware 5.1 (or 7.1), i'm myself looking either at a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 or an M-Audio Revolution, although i believe(i'm not 100% sure) even an old Creative Sound Blaster Live! is capable of hardware surround.

Comment

DAMN!!!

ok, how would i go abouts getting it working with an audigy 2 value?

Comment

Disable the onboard in the bios, and then enable the surround and center channels in the mixer and try playing a file in amarok with the alsa driver in 5.1

Comment

Working...
        X