This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktops sometimes load up blank

Title pretty much sums it up, half the time I boot up my first and second desktop are blank, more of an annoyance than an issue but it would still be nice to fix it, any information you might need just ask.

Re: Desktops sometimes load up blank

Actually, what you've given doesn't "show it all" ... In fact, it says hardly anything.

I.E.:
    What are your PC specs - make, model, etc...? Your video driver name and model number? How much video RAM does it have.

Which version of Kubuntu are you using?

Is this right after a fresh install, or was your desktop showing OK and then suddenly got blank on your next bootup?

Is this two out of four, or is it two and both are blank. IOW, are one or more of your desktops normal?

Do you hear the sounds made when a desktop completes its display and is normally ready to accept interaction -- the desktop startup sounds?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING HERE
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Please include the following information in your posts:

What release of Kubuntu you are using. 10.4? Im pretty sure
        If Kubuntu is installed, is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation). No
        What version of KDE you are using. Idk the default when installing 10.4
        What version of Grub you are using. Same as above
        What other Operating Systems are installed. None

Information about your PC:

Type (Desktop or laptop) Laptop
        CPU (Central Processor Unit) make (Intel, AMD, ?) and whether 32-bit, 64-bit, or ? AMD 64 bit
        GPU (Graphics Processor Unit) manufacturer and model ATI mobility radeon HD 4200
        RAM (how much installed) 2 gigs i think but i don't know how to check on kubuntu
        HDs (number of and type internal - number of and type external) 1 internal
        Optical Drives (number of and type internal - number of and type external) DVD reader? 1 internal

It is 2 out of 4 that sometimes load up blank with desktop 3 and 4 always remaining normal, sometimes it loads up with just desktop 1 having a blue background but all of my gadgets show up, whereas when it loads up 'blank' the only think there is the toolbar.

My desktop was showing up fine for a while but it happened once and i ignored it and then it became more frequent until now i hardly ever see them.

Yes I still get the desktop startup sounds and the prompt for my password, the only thing i can tell is off is the fact that it boots with 2 desktops blank.

The only thing I did that I think affected it was installing the fglx (something like that) package to make my graphics card work faster (which it did as far as games) and thats when it started getting more frequent.

Another little note that may be of no importance, when booting up the screen that shows Kubuntu with the dots under it right before the login screen looks different than it used to, it looks very old it uses three very different shades off blue and instead of blending to make a even color it just looks like it was those three colors dotted into each other.

Hope that provides more detail I was kind off rushed during my first post sorry.

Comment

ATI mobility radeon HD 4200
          Did you install ATI's Catalyst video driver?

If not, give it a try: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...x86.x86_64.run

Instructions are in a PDF found here: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...at107-inst.pdf
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I have the catalyst control center if thats what you mean.

Comment

That's what I mean. It is 10.7, yes?

Sounds like it's time to play with the settings in the control center, if you haven't already.

If you've done that then the next thing I'd do is reduce the number of desktops to two, by removing the ones that don't show.

Comment

CCC doesn't seem to affect it and I'm looking for a solution to the problem rather than removing the object, honestly I'd rather let it boot occasionally then never having it. Any one else have any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                X