Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Problem updating to Lucid - where's KDE?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Problem updating to Lucid - where's KDE?

I've been using Karmic installed inside Windows on a Dell Dimension 2400 for about 6 months, and have been mostly happy with it. I finally decided to make the time to update it to Lucid. Everything seemed to go OK with the update (as far as I could tell) until it came time to reboot. Now it just boots to a grub command line - no sign of KDE. As a newbie still trying to adapt from Windows, this is discouraging. Any suggestions?

Re: Problem updating to Lucid - where's KDE?

Hi,

Have a look at:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...5828#msg195828

and:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099811.0

Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Hi

First, ensure you have a wired internet connection.

When you see the grub option screen take the recovery mode. You will be presented with a series of options - run the following ones:

Fix broken packages - this will resolve any issues arising from any packages being improperly installed.

xfix - this will reconfigure the xserver (the graphics subsystem) which is the most likely cause of failure to boot to a gui.

Then try resume normal boot.

What happens? If it doesn't load please make a note of the error message you get and post it back here.

Comment

OK, pardon the dumb question - but how do I get the grup option screen? When I boot up and select Kubuntu (instead of Windows) I immediately get the following screen:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        GNU GRUB version 1.97~beta4
        [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device/file completions. ]

sh:grub>
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it - so again, how do I get to the option screen you mention?

Comment

Okay, it seems to be an issue with updating to grub 2 specifically within a wubi installation.

What appears to be a solution is here

http://www.omaregan.com/?p=583

Actually an updated (and easier fix) is here

http://www.omaregan.com/?p=608

Alternatively, if you have now decided you are happy with kubuntu it might be time to consider a permanent home for it which would mean

1. Uninstalling it from within windows (after a backup of course) and then

2. Installing it side by side i.e as a formal dual boot.

If you decide to take the second course, come back here for guidance on the best way to do it.

Comment

Thanks, I will try that tonight.

And yes, I would be interested in doing a formal dual boot, if it can be done safely without damage to the Windows side (which I do still need to use).

Comment

Come back when you are ready

Comment

That fixed it - the link you posted did the trick. Many thanks!

I'll check back with you for advice about the dual boot - might be a week or two.

Comment

Excellent! look forward to hearing further.

Meanwhile, can you please edit the title in your opening post to mark the issue as solved as that may be helpful to others?

Thanks

ian

Comment

Working...
                  X