This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Help with wine

I've tried installing wine from synaptic and have fiddled with it several times and it installs it just doesn't seem to want to use any of my programs. I know the program itself is working because it opens notepad like its supposed to but i can't get any of my programs to work. It won't let me access the virtual c drive from the wine menu in applications as my computer claims it does not exist. Just so you know the majority of what I'm trying to run is games so if theres a better software for that specifically that would work too.

PS-I don't know how much of a difference it makes but the games I'm trying to run where installed on another computer (windows 7) and then transfered to my kubuntu.

Thank you in advance^_^

Re: Help with wine

Originally posted by Methos94
    PS-I don't know how much of a difference it makes but the games I'm trying to run where installed on another computer (windows 7) and then transfered to my kubuntu.
    If you simply copy the files from one computer to another then you are missing the registry entries which were created when the game was installed and run for the first time.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Here I forgot to add this in my first post:
      Please include the following information in your posts:

What release of Kubuntu you are using. 10.4? Im pretty sure
      If Kubuntu is installed, is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation). No
      What version of KDE you are using. Idk the default when installing 10.4
      What version of Grub you are using. Same as above
      What other Operating Systems are installed. None

Information about your PC:

Type (Desktop or laptop) Laptop
      CPU (Central Processor Unit) make (Intel, AMD, ?) and whether 32-bit, 64-bit, or ? AMD 64 bit
      GPU (Graphics Processor Unit) manufacturer and model ATI mobility radeon HD 4200
      RAM (how much installed) 2 gigs i think but i don't know how to check on kubuntu Tongue
      HDs (number of and type internal - number of and type external) 1 internal
      Optical Drives (number of and type internal - number of and type external) DVD reader? 1 internal

And in response is there any workaround? Some of my games are old and I don't have the original install discs so am I just going to have to suck it up and take my losses or are there other ways?

Comment

It is good of you to include that information, but I don't think it will help us in this case. For future reference, you can always find version information about your Kubuntu system by entering in Konsole the commands lsb_release -dc and konqueror --version (or dolphin --version). For example:

Code:
        $ lsb_release -dc
        Description:  Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS
        Codename:    hardy
        $ konqueror --version
        Qt: 3.3.8b
        KDE: 3.5.10
        Konqueror: 3.5.10
        $ dolphin --version
        Qt: 3.3.8b
        KDE: 3.5.10
        Dolphin: 0.9.2
        It would be good to know your Wine version. For example:

Code:
        $ wine --version
        wine-1.1.42
        And in response is there any workaround? Some of my games are old and I don't have the original install discs so am I just going to have to suck it up and take my losses or are there other ways?
        I don't know for a fact that the problem is missing registry entries. If it is then you could laboriously search through the Windows registry and manually transfer all the entries related to each program into the Wine registry. It would be a great deal of work, and still might not solve anything.

If you don't have the original CDs then have you considered that you probably are not licensed to use the games? Usually being licensed is contingent upon having made a purchase, and I'm assuming that if you made a purchase then you would have the original install media.

Another option I can think of would be to create a VirtualBox guest and set it up with the exact same version of Windows which is on your Windows computer. To do so legally you must purchase another copy of the exact same version of Windows, assuming you are not ready to retire the Windows computer. Once you have the VirtualBox guest set up then you can copy the entire system over and see if it works. This would also be a great deal of work, and chances of success are questionable at best.

If you want to keep trying in Wine, then please post your Wine version. Then try starting one of the games with Wine inside a Konsole window. Here's how:

Code:
        $ cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/My\ Game/
        $ wine My\ Game.exe
        The code above assumes that the game installed into "C:\Program Files\My Game". Some very old games (Windows 95 era) used to install into "C:\Game".

When you start the game Wine will produce some information, usually including any warnings about possible problems. Copy the output from the Konsole window and paste it in your reply.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

version is 1.1.42 and as far as having made a purchase on the games its just that a couple of them that I really enjoy are older games and the disks where made useless a long time ago because I live with 3 younger siblings and the games were for everybody, naturally 1 game disk going through 4 different sets of hands regularly they took damage to say the least :P I'm getting ready to run it through konsole like you said and ill post the results in a minute.

Comment

ok im running into a problem, how do i get my game files to the c drive i cant find it in my folder directories...

Comment

ok im running into a problem, how do i get my game files to the c drive i cant find it in my folder directories...
              your "C" drive is /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c (the . is not a typo)

edit:h wow i did forget a '/' in there.. oops.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Sithlord is not wrong, except I think he forgot a slash character.

Anyway, inside the Konsole window enter the following commands exactly as shown ( you can copy/paste them), and post the output here.

Code:
                cd $HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files
                ls -hl
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Its not showing up in my home folder and in konsole it tells me that there is no such file or directory

Comment

Its not showing up in my home folder and in konsole it tells me that there is no such file or directory
                    Okay. We'll go one step at a time then. Perform each of these, and post the output after the first one that fails.

Code:
                    cd $HOME
                    Code:
                    ls -dhl .wine
                    Code:
                    ls -dhl .wine/drive_c
                    Code:
                    ls -dhl .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files
                    I really need you to copy the Konsole buffer and paste it into your reply. I can't see what you see.
                    Welcome newbies!
                    Verify the ISO
                    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

ls: cannot access .wine/drive_c/programfiles: No such file or directory > Thats the bad one >

PS - Can you please explain what the command you put in was doing exactly?

Comment

ls: cannot access .wine/drive_c/programfiles: No such file or directory
                        The reason it is failing is because you are not typing the command correctly. That is why I suggested you copy the text of the command from my post and paste that into Konsole.

PS - Can you please explain what the command you put in was doing exactly?
                        Of course, and I'm glad you asked. I'll break it down for you.

Code:
                        cd $HOME
                        The cd command changes the current directory. You can operate on any files in the current directory without having to specify the full path starting from "/" (the root of the file system). The $HOME variable contains the full path to your home directory. If your login name is methos94 then the full path to your home directory would be /home/methos94, but I don't know that. I had you do cd $HOME to ensure that we were starting from your home directory, not some other directory.

Read more about the cd command

Code:
                        ls -dhl .wine/drive_c/Program\ Files
                        The ls command is used to list the names (and other information) of files. The -dhl part is a group of command options which tell ls exactly how we want our files listed.

Read more about the ls command

The reason I'm having you perform these steps is so that I can establish the location of your games. From what I gather in your responses so far, I think you must not know exactly what directory the games are installed in. If I'm mistaken about that then please do speak up.
                        Welcome newbies!
                        Verify the ISO
                        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

SPEAKING UP!!! my games are in home/methos94/games

I knew that the whole time sorry for not being clear enough *smacks self in head*

Comment

SPEAKING UP!!! my games are in home/methos94/games

I knew that the whole time sorry for not being clear enough *smacks self in head*
                            My fault for not asking first

That location will only work if Wine can access it. Wine maps certain directories on your Linux system to drive letters which the Windows programs can access. I believe that in Kubuntu drive "Z:" is automatically mapped to "/" (the root of the file system) by default. If that is the case then we are okay.

So in Konsole you will want to enter these commands:

Code:
                            cd /home/methos94/games
                            That should put you inside the games directory. If it does not, and you receive an error message, then you should remember that Linux file names are case sensitive. If there are any upper case letters you must type them in the correct case.

Code:
                            ls -hl
                            That should show the list of files contained in the games directory.
                            Welcome newbies!
                            Verify the ISO
                            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

YES!!!
                              now what...

Comment

Working...
                              X