Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] 1st Time Kubuntu Install - Screen distorted/split (nvidia drivers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1st Time Kubuntu Install - Screen distorted/split

First off try to boot kubuntu - at the dos-like prompt, type startx. What error messages do you get?

Comment

It says Fatal Server Error: no screens found

It also mentions "fail to load module 'nvidia' "
      Kubuntu 10.4 (LiveCd and Wubi)<br />Windows 7<br /><br />HP Laptop dv6700<br />AMD Turion 32-bit<br />2.00 GHz<br />3.00 GB RAM<br />250 GB Hard drive (Fujitsu MHY2250BH ATA)<br />NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nforce 630M Display Adapter

Comment

At the prompt type

Code:
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
        You will be prompted for your password.

Follow the prompts and select the open source driver

Then try startx again

Comment

it shows the same thing as before...I don't notice an option for selecting a driver. I have attached a picture.
          Attached Files
          Kubuntu 10.4 (LiveCd and Wubi)<br />Windows 7<br /><br />HP Laptop dv6700<br />AMD Turion 32-bit<br />2.00 GHz<br />3.00 GB RAM<br />250 GB Hard drive (Fujitsu MHY2250BH ATA)<br />NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nforce 630M Display Adapter

Comment

I'm a bit surprised that none of the nvidia experts have seen this thread yet. Did you ever get to install the nvidia drivers?

There is a thread belowthat gives a more comprehensive how-to fix the xserver. If you are going to do that routine, you need the machine to be connected to the internet. Look at the final post.

http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/sh...1150319&page=2

It's worthwhile doing the first command in case there are any improperly installed packages contributing to this.

Also take a look here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bi...erHowto/Nvidia

Comment

If it's a WUBI installation, I don't know that it uses the actual graphics card in the system.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

If it was a native installation, then the proprietary Nvidia driver should work with that GPU.

Comment

wow. I cannot believe that it worked. thank you for your help, I'm now able to login to Kubuntu and I certainly wouldn't have been able to do all that by myself. I've never even been able to use MS DOS successfully.

Now my problem is loading Windows 7. when I tried to boot into it, I got a black screen... I can access the Windows 7 (c drive from within Kubuntu, but I've had no luck booting to Windows 7 OS.

Did I install Kubuntu incorrectly?

Comment

what worked for ya?

as for windows.......I'd first try runing
                  Code:
                  update grub
                  ......you may nead sudo on that frome a Konsole in Kubuntu and see if you can boot win.

if not did you chkdsk and defrag windows befor insalling Kubuntu?

if not the windows file system may have ben corupted wile shrinking the drive for Kubuntu......usualey when that hapens you cant access it frome in Kubuntu ether though.

see if you can boot windows in safe moad and run chkdsk. (taping F8 wile booting)

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by landonblaine
                    wow. I cannot believe that it worked. thank you for your help, I'm now able to login to Kubuntu and I certainly wouldn't have been able to do all that by myself. I've never even been able to use MS DOS successfully.

Now my problem is loading Windows 7. when I tried to boot into it, I got a black screen... I can access the Windows 7 (c drive from within Kubuntu, but I've had no luck booting to Windows 7 OS.

Did I install Kubuntu incorrectly?
                    I suspect the answer was at the ubuntu link? Glad it worked.

Windows - Yes try Vinnys grub update as a first step. I must confess though that I was a bit surprised when you told me you had installed it as I thought you were wanting to properly explore the live option first.

However, if you need to do an overlay reinstall of windows, you can do so, although you'll need to replace grub if you do. Whatever you decide, you can now access your windows drive from kubuntu and backup the data.
                    Actually I recall that when I carved up my drive and booted up windows it wanted to do a scandisk first. Perhaps booting into safe mode will trigger that for you.

Comment

Well I knew I was going to install it side by side from the beginning. I had a separate partition formatted at 30gb and had planned to put it on there. However, when I went through the install process, it said that it would format part of the windows partition and place the new OS on there. It didn't matter at that point, I just thought I would re-merge the partition I made previously (with the Windows C drive) when the install was finished.

I guess I shouldn't have gotten so eager about installing Kubuntu....I will try the chkdsk option now.

thanks for the help guys

Comment

I don't really know how to do the "update grub" command. i tried putting it in the konsole with and without sudo and it didn't really do anything.

I also tried to hit F8 at startup and could not get into the "safe mode" screen. It went straight to the OS selection everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by landonblaine
                          However, when I went through the install process, it said that it would format part of the windows partition and place the new OS on there. It didn't matter at that point, I just thought I would re-merge the partition I made previously (with the Windows C drive) when the install was finished.

thanks for the help guys
                          Applying my first class honours in hindsight and for future reference it may help you to at the partitioning stage there is a manual option that allows you to install to a specific partition so as and when you go through the process again you will be able to set up as you originally planned.

Enjoy using kubuntu. Come back if you have any queries.

Btw the command in konsole s update-grub

Ian

Comment

The update-grub command worked like a charm. thanks to all of you for your help. I really appreciate it and look forward to being part of this community.

Comment

So you've got windows back up too? That's great

On the basis that your issue you have raised is solved, would you mind editing your first post to include "solved" in the title as there might just be someone else with the same issue?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X