This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Wireless Connection problems!

I'm currently trying out Kubuntu (downloaded the ISO [version 10.04 for 64bit computers], burned it to a CD, booted up my computer from the CD, and chose to run without installing) on my Dell Studio 17 laptop with Windows 7. I'm having major problems making my wireless connection work. First off, I'm assuming that you can, in fact, set up a wireless connection when you haven't installed Kubuntu-- so I hope that's right!

When I tried to set up a wireless connection, it scanned for local networks. I chose the one I wanted to connect to. This is the information I have: router password, SSID, BSSID, encryption key, encryption method, IP address, subnet, gateway, DNS, and DHCP. My wireless network adaptor is listed as: Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN. When I try to use the default web browser, I believe it says it's unable to locate host. (That's the same no matter what address I try to enter.) When I go back into the connections window, it shows the wireless connection I tried to set up, and next to it, it says I've never been connected through that connection.

I have no problems connecting to the internet with Windows 7, and since I'm brand new to Linux (and not terribly computer-savvy in this first place), I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Maybe I'm putting in more information than I need (though there was no place to put the encryption key)... or maybe I'm not checking the right boxes?

Help, anyone? Thanks!

Re: Wireless Connection problems!

I have that wireless chip in my SONY VAIO VGN-140/E notebook. It works well.

All you need to connect is to first open "Manage connections" from the KNetworkManager icon in the system tray using the right mouse. Or, left click on wireless icon the icon in the system tray.

Click on the wireless tab. Click the "+ Add" button.
    For "Connection Name" enter any name you want to give it.
    Check the box titled "Connect Automatically"
    Enter the ESSID for your wireless router.
    Choose your encryption type: usually WPA 1/2 passphrase
    Enter your wireless connection password.
    Click apply.

It should connect.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: Wireless Connection problems!

Apparently, I was putting in waaaay more information than I needed to! I'm all up-and-running now.

Thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
      X