• Show
Clear All

Small screen on Kubuntu guest

Windows XP Pro 64bit but with 32bit chip
    IGB memory
    Nvidia Geforce 6200 TurboCache graphics

VirtualBox 3.2.6 installed
    Kubuntu 10.o4 installed

It took a bit of setting up and getting to run and it finally did, but the problem is I only have a 19" monitor for this computer and you only get a small screen. So investigations show that I need to install guest additions and press ctrl F and I get full screen, well sort of, still get 2" black around the Kubuntu screen.

I found some instructions here http://www.tmsnetwork.org/blog/insta...itions-kubuntu but as always somethings are never quite the same and what I keep coming back to is that I don't have in my settings list CD/DVD ROM so I never get this Mount CD/DVD drive but the computer has a DVD drive? In the instructions when I type in cd media and ls instead of it showing cd rom, floppy etc it shows the VBox guestaddtions, presumably showing that guestaddtions is already installed?

The screen does expand to block out Windows underneath, but how do I get rid of the black around so it is full screen? And how do I get CD ROM to show in my settings list?

I know the diehards are going to say install Kubuntu from scratch and forget Windows but I want to test it out first but I also need to be able to see it!!

Re: Small screen on Kubuntu guest

Originally posted by youngros
    In the instructions when I type in cd media and ls instead of it showing cd rom, floppy etc it shows the VBox guestaddtions, presumably showing that guestaddtions is already installed?
    It is telling you that VBoxGuestAdditions.iso is mounted using the loopback interface as an optical drive. I don't think you should presume that it has actually been installed until you run the installer. You can unmount the iso image after installation using the settings dialog for the VM.

Comment

Re: Small screen on Kubuntu guest

I am running Kubuntu 10.10 as a guest OS under VBox 3.2.6. Its screen size came up 800X600 because I had set the display (in the VB settings for 10.10) to 26MB. When I set it to 64MB my 10.10 came up 1356X800. I set it to 1024X762

VBoxGuestAdditions.iso is located at:
      /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso

When you click on the "Devices" menu of VB itself, then checkmark the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X