X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grub error 21

Hi all,

I have searched through the forum and tried everything I could find, but I am still getting the same error 21 when restarting my system.

I installed Kubuntu 6.06 from the live CD, and let the partitioning program do it's thing. All went well, except when I try to boot from the hard drive I get Grub error 21. I have WinXP on my first HD(partition active), Kubuntu installed on the second drive which is showing an Ext3 partition (Active), and a Linux swap partition.

I can boot the system with the Live CD, but that is all I have been able to accomplish. When I try to mount the Windows drive I get an error.

I have a few files I need to get off of the Windows drive, and at the very least need to be able to mount that drive so I can copy them to CD, Please Help!

Also, is there any way to uninstall Kubuntu if it comes to that point?

Thanks!
    Panicing in NC

Re: grub error 21

Hello kwparker80 and welcome to the Kubuntu Forums.

If you Google "grub error 21" the top item is Mepis http://www.mepis.org/node/7330. This says that error 21 is " Selected disk does not exist."

The Mepis site has two or three suggestions which have succeeded
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks, I will give it a try.

I already found an old DOS 6.22 disk and did the fdisk /mbr thing and got my WinXP back, now I will backup what I forgot to backup before the crash and try again.

Thanks again!

Comment

Congratulations!

If you want to repeat if you want to) try to restore grub see http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#H...s_installation

How to add Windows into the Grub Menu follows on from that article
        "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
        "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
        X