This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Folders and files problem

First, I'm a relative newbie regarding Linux, so please excuse me if this is a dumb question. I've done quite a bit of searching but have not come across any reference to this particular problem.

I have Kubuntu Karmic installed on an HP Pavilion ze1210 laptop; I haven't updated it to Lucid yet, but all current bug fixes for Karmic are installed. I also have a Dell desktop with Karmic installed inside Windows XP; that computer does NOT have this problem. The laptop worked fine with Karmic for about two months before this problem surfaced.

The problem has to do with opening folders and dragging files. Usually (but not always) folders do not open when double-clicked. (I have the mouse set to open folders and files by double-clicking, not single-clicking; changing the setting to open with a single click does not solve the problem.) The only way I can open a folder is to right-click and open in a new window or tab. Single-clicking on multiple files in succession selects them all, as if I were holding down the Ctrl key (which I'm not).

Also, I can't drag files from one window to another; I can only use keyboard shorcuts (such as Ctrl-C or Ctrl-X) to move or copy files.

This happens regardles of whether I'm using Dolphin or Konqueror, and regardless of whether I'm using the touchpad or a regular mouse.

The computer works normally otherwise, so I don't think it's a hardware problem. Is there some obscure KDE setting that I inadvertently messed up? I'd appreciate any advice regarding this problem, but please put it into terms that a Windows user just learning Linux can understand. Thanks!

Re: Folders and files problem

System Settings -> Accessibility

Check to make sure that sticky keys, slow keys and bounce keys are all disabled

Comment

I think you may have two problems: (1) Your mouse settings may be inappropriate, and (2) Your problem dragging files between windows. For the first problem, your mouse settings in "System Settings">"Keyboard & Mouse">"Mouse">"Advanced" may be out of whack. Just for comparison purposes mine are:
      Pointer Accel. = 2.0x
      Pointer Threshold = 4 Pixels
      Double Click Interval = 400 msec.
      Drag Start Time = 500 msec.
      Drag Start Distance = 4 Pixels
      Mouse wheel scrolls by = 3 lines

These work for me, but you may find them sluggish. If your current settings are WILDLY different ( factor of 10 somewhere) that may be your problem.

With regard to your (possible) second problem. I suspect that the solution to the first problem will solve it, but, if it doesn't, in Konq, (I know nothing about Dolphin) look at Settings > "Configure Konqueor": Under Performance try "Minimize Memory Usage" = Never and under > "File Management" > General > Behavior make sure that you are using common view properties for all folders, and that they are sensible. You may have set something "wacky" for a particular folder.

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
        System Settings -> Accessibility

Check to make sure that sticky keys, slow keys and bounce keys are all disabled
        All of these are already disabled. I appreciate the suggestion, though!

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
          I think you may have two problems: (1) Your mouse settings may be inappropriate, and (2) Your problem dragging files between windows. For the first problem, your mouse settings in "System Settings">"Keyboard & Mouse">"Mouse">"Advanced" may be out of whack. Just for comparison purposes mine are:
          Pointer Accel. = 2.0x
          Pointer Threshold = 4 Pixels
          Double Click Interval = 400 msec.
          Drag Start Time = 500 msec.
          Drag Start Distance = 4 Pixels
          Mouse wheel scrolls by = 3 lines

These work for me, but you may find them sluggish. If your current settings are WILDLY different ( factor of 10 somewhere) that may be your problem.

With regard to your (possible) second problem. I suspect that the solution to the first problem will solve it, but, if it doesn't, in Konq, (I know nothing about Dolphin) look at Settings > "Configure Konqueor": Under Performance try "Minimize Memory Usage" = Never and under > "File Management" > General > Behavior make sure that you are using common view properties for all folders, and that they are sensible. You may have set something "wacky" for a particular folder.
          Mouse settings are the same as yours, except the first one which is 1.5.

I did change the settings in Konqueror as you suggested (the changes appeared to then carry over to Dolphin), and it didn't make any difference. BUT then I also unchecked "Show selection marker" and that seems like it may have cleared up the problem - though I'm not sure why it would. I'll keep an eye on it for awhile and report back as to whether it is really fixed. Thanks for - hopefully - getting me going in the right direction!

Comment

I'm glad you solved it, (although I have absolutely no idea why or how your fix worked).

Comment

Working...
            X