This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu and wireless printing

I just installed Kubuntu on the computer that is currently plugged into my printer, I had it set-up so that my other computer could wirelessly print. At the time they were both windows, but when I made the switch on this computer it stopped allowing my other computer.

I stopped firestarter, and I've gone into the printer settings and enabled everything wireless related to no avail. The wireless computer is running off of Windows XP.

What release of Kubuntu you are using. : No clue
    If Kubuntu is installed, is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation). : No
    What version of KDE you are using. : No clue
    What version of Grub you are using. : No clue
    What other Operating Systems are installed. : None other on this computer

Re: Kubuntu and wireless printing

in order for the computer that is connected to the printer (the kubuntu machine) to share the printer you will first have to configure samba file/print server. i suggest you check this link
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba
    and pay special attention to the part #6 "Sharing Cups Printers". you will also on the windows machine have to update the printers share info.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: Kubuntu and wireless printing

Connecting a printer to one computer and then using SAMBA to connect to the others requires that when you want to use the others, and the printer, you have to have the computer with the printer turned on even if you don't want to use it.

A more elegant solution is to get a wireless print server, connect your printer to it, and it to your wireless router, and set up the wireless print server as ad-hoc, with a static IP address one less than the base address of your dhcp wireless router. Put them on the same power strip and when you throw the powerstrip switch they all come on.

Then, using the web administrator in CUPS, connect to localhost:631 in your browser. Add your printer as "socket://192.168.1.99:9100" on your Kubuntu machine. I don't recall how to connect to an ad-hoc printer in Windows.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X