• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Updating KDE

I'm back...
    Back with another question.
    How do I update KDE?
    Hopefully an update can get rid of the occasional glitches (windows lose their borders, switching desktops also glitches sometimes, the clock turns to a black rectangle so I gotta reset the theme)

Thanks,
    ElWray
    Core 2 Quad Q6600<br />4 GB RAM<br />GeForce 9800 GTX<br />Hitachi Deskstar 1TB<br />Seagate 250 GB<br /><br />Triple-booting Gentoo, Crunchbang &amp; Windows 7

Re: Updating KDE

Depending on the version that you're presently running, updating KDE at this time could make things a lot worse. At this time, KDE is under active development. In time, this will lead to even better desktop environment than we have now. But only when things stabilize.

My advice would be to run the version that comes with the Kubuntu release that you are using together with ALL the updates that have been released for the software that you have installed. These updates have been either bug fixes, or security patches. A more recent version, that has not gone through the vetting process by the Debian and Kubuntu developers is likely to bring you more grief and less joy.

In the meantime you might want to change the KDE theme that you are using. I vaguely recall having trouble with a couple of the themes in earlier versions of KDE4. That may be the cause of your problems. You may also want to take a look at the way your display system is set up in System Settings.

Comment

If you want to update to the latest stable Kde version (4.4.5), add the following repository:
      ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

If you're adventurous, you can also try the latest version currently in development (4.5 RC2). Be advised though that it still has a few bugs, and applications can crash occassionally. Thus, not recommended for a productive environment.
      ppa:kubuntu-ppa/beta

For themes, I'd recommend you either use Oxygen or QtCurve. For the latter, simply install the package 'qtcurve' which will pull all required packages. With QtCurve, you have an unified style for Kde and Gnome apps.
      Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

check out this blog post I did with some descriptions of the various different repos. The repos listed are still the same as listed, though the versions mentioned there are now outdated. But the descriptions and usage are the same.

For keeping up to date, there are some options for you depending on how far you want to go, and how stable you want things to be.

Comment

Since I've been using Windows until about 2 weeks ago, I wanna keep things as stable as possible. That was pretty much the main reason for switching to Linux. Had a nice crash every 2 days with bill.
          Core 2 Quad Q6600<br />4 GB RAM<br />GeForce 9800 GTX<br />Hitachi Deskstar 1TB<br />Seagate 250 GB<br /><br />Triple-booting Gentoo, Crunchbang &amp; Windows 7

Comment

I concur with yurri and the rest.
            the clock turns to a black rectangle so I gotta reset the theme
            I get that with my analog clock on the desktop and my theme (custom) sometimes at log in.
            I just click on the configure icon for the clock and click okay and the clock comes back.

Welcome to the party
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Yes if you update to 4.4.5 you should have a very nice stable experience.

I too found that from time to time some odd things happened to the analog clock, but concluded that if that was all I had to worry about life wasn't so bad after all

Enjoy!

Comment

Problem solved. Thanks a lot for your replies.

Now this might be off topic but I don't think a new topic would be necessary for such a question. What text editor would you recommend? I'm not really feeling at home with Kate and something as "minimal" as MS' Notepad would be much appreciated.

Thx,
                ElWray

Comment

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-linux-274649/

Kedit is a possibility or kwrite

Sorry, kedit is a kde 3 app, kwrite is for KDE4.

Alternatively there are numerous CLI text editors available, but I assumed they aren't what you want.

Comment

Kwrite is just fine

Thanks,
                    ElWray

Comment

Working...
                    X