This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I remove extra Grub entries ?[Solved]

Before installing Kbuntu I played around with a number of different distros (Kbuntu is the best !!!!)
    but it's left me with a very confusing start up screen.
    How do I remove the extra entries?

Re: How do I remove extra Grub entries ?

Try running in a terminal

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    That will cause grub to look around for installed kernels and update the list.

That work?

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
      Try running in a terminal

Code:
      sudo update-grub
      That will cause grub to look around for installed kernels and update the list.

That work?
      Ermmm no

Comment

What are the entries you are seeing?

Comment

Ubuntu, with linux 2.6.32-23-generic

Ubuntu, with linux 2.6.32-21-generic

linux (on/dev/sda1)

linux-monfb (on/dev/sda1)

Ubuntu, with linux 2.6.32.12- pclos1bfs( on/dev/sdb1)

Ubuntu, with linux 2.6.32.21 (on/dev/sdb1)

Grub version 1.98-ubuntu6

Comment

Re: How do I remove extra Grub entries ? [SOLVED]

Think I have fathomed out what is there I installed Gparted and checked

A duel boot main hard drive plus an external hard drive.

Comment

Re: How do I remove extra Grub entries ?[Solved]

The references to sdb1 would certainly suggest an installation of ubuntu to an external hard drive.

Glad you have sorted it

Comment

Re: How do I remove extra Grub entries ?[Solved]

You can modify GRUB:NANO file. Procedure is as follows:

1. Start Linux. From there, open >Start >Applications>System>Terminal.
                2. A new window similar to DOS prompt will open when you select the above.
                3. Type in "cd /boot/grub" and press enter.
                4. Now type in "sudo nano menu.lst" and press enter.
                (When you do this, the GRUB:NANO file opens in edit mode)
                5. You will see many set of entries showing all the versions of linux kernels that have been loaded.
                6. Add "#" in front of each of the set of entries that you do not want to appear during grub loading.
                7. Please note that after you edit the whole file, in the set of entries starting with "#default num" the last line should be default 1(or more)
                8. Similarly, in the set of entries starting with "#timeout sec" the last line should be timeout 10 (or more)
                9. After you have edited this "Ctrl+O" to save and then "Ctrl+X" to exit.
                10. After this, once again, type "exit" and press enter to close the prompt.

It is very important to note that in the process of modifying this file, if you leave the saved file with the "#" entry against all lines, there would not be any of the choices shown during start up and probably, Linux may not start at all.

I have a laptop with linux and windows dual boot and I have left only three entries in the grub loader file during start up - the latest update of linux, the first installed version and the windows. Of course, both the versions of linux also have the "safe mode" and that makes total five entries shown during start. Every time Linux updates, I keep changing the sudo nano as stated earlier. Demonstrated to me (and I copied down) by another guy who knew something about LInux.

Comment

Working...
                X