X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Security Settings...

Danger - I'm a complete newb

Hi,
    I got Kubuntu 10.04 and I'd like to know how to get rid of all the prompting for passwords and security messages. I can't even use synaptic properly unless I start it from the terminal.

Thanks,
    ElWray
    Core 2 Quad Q6600<br />4 GB RAM<br />GeForce 9800 GTX<br />Hitachi Deskstar 1TB<br />Seagate 250 GB<br /><br />Triple-booting Gentoo, Crunchbang &amp; Windows 7

Re: Security Settings...

The prompting for passwords is a feature, not a problem. It's what makes your system secure. No reason you should not be able to open Synaptic from the launcher. It should prompt you for your password and then open. If it is not doing that, and it opens OK when you launch it in a terminal, then check the launch command in the launcher to make sure it is correct.

Comment

A useful Kubuntu Forums link > HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help

The Ubuntu documentation of the users and their rights > RootSudo.

Changing the behaviour > RootSudoTimeout:
      By default sudo remembers your password for 15 minutes. If you want to change that you can do so by...
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by ElWray
        Danger - I'm a complete newb
        Which is exactly why you don't want to disable the prompts for your password when doing something that requires elevation of your user account 'temporarily' to that of the root user.

If your installation were to have this safeguard disabled, you would, given your very limited experience with Linux/Kubuntu so far, be able to, very easily, destroy your system without any warning at all.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X