This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I configure Samba?

My objective is to set up a home server to keep and access media files from several pc's in the house.

I'm using the latest download of Kubuntu and I managed to find and download Samba. My Windows machine can see "Printers and Faxes" but no files. I would prefer to manage Samba in the GUI rather than command line.

It looks like it set up a network called "workgroup". I would prefer that it join my existing windows network.

In the kubuntu Guide I found this:

sudo apt-get install samba samba-tools system-config-samba

When I ran it, my computer HD just ran for about 30 minutes until I hit the reset button . . .

Re: How do I configure Samba?

Originally posted by kmandallas
    sudo apt-get install samba samba-tools system-config-samba

When I ran it, my computer HD just ran for about 30 minutes until I hit the reset button . . .
    Methinks you have a problem here which is completely unrelated to Samba. It should never be necessary to press the reset button or unplug the power cord on a properly functioning Linux system. I am guessing (only guessing) that either your computer hardware is faulty or that you have corrupted your operating system by pressing the reset button.

Once your computer hardware and operating system are fixed (whichever one may be at fault), then you can try the instructions at Kubuntuguide.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
    X