This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on an external drive?

I downloaded and burned the ISO image for the livedisk of Kubuntu. First attempt, ran the livedisk on my Averatec laptop. It loaded and ran, but the browser would not connect to the internet. (Same thing happened with SUSE Linux.) But that's not my question.

Here's my question:

I have a 40 GB external USB 2 hard drive that used to be for backups, but it got too small and I now use a bigger one. Is it possible to install Kubuntu Linux on the 40 GB external drive, thus creating a dual-boot system, but with the Linux "partition" on the external drive so I would not have to partition my internal drive? I know it would be slow, but it would let me try out and play with Linux without messing with my regular HD.

Re: Kubuntu on an external drive?

Yes it is possible to install onto an external USB hard drive. An example of how this was done with Ubuntu can be found at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=80811
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Re: Kubuntu on an external drive?

Thanks for the info. It doesn't look like a beginner project, though. I'm going to think about just doing a regular install onto a partition of my HD instead.

Comment

Working...
      X