This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux General Questions

1)Does linux comes with a firewall like windows?
    If yes where is it?
    If no where to download?

2) Is samba used to share resources between dual booting OS? It only mentioned guest OS (vmware)so I am not sure. How about sharing of programs and applications?

Re: Linux General Questions

Those questions plus 18 more are answered in the link in my signature.

Comment

Originally posted by hitmen
      2) Is samba used to share resources between dual booting OS? It only mentioned guest OS (vmware)so I am not sure. How about sharing of programs and applications?
      Originally posted by Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
      (SaMBa) Software that allows a Unix server to act as a file server to Windows clients. Samba is a free, open source implementation of the CIFS file sharing protocol, which evolved from SMB, hence the SMB in SaMBa. Samba runs under Linux, FreeBSD and other Unix variants.
      http://www.samba.org

If you want to share files between operating systems in a dual boot configuration, then you will have to mount the file system containing the files you wish to share. Kubuntu is capable of mounting Windows NTFS and FAT-32 formatted partitions without any additional software, although it may not do so automatically until you manually configure it.

Sharing files between host and guest on a virtual machine is a different story. Samba can be used if the network of the virtual machine is configured properly, or the virtual machine may provide other facilities for sharing host folders to the guest. The easiest method will depend on whether your virtual machine is hosted with VMWare, VirtualBox, MS VirtualPC, or what ever.
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I haven't used windoze in quite a while, so I didn't know that it now(?) comes with a firewall. There are several ways to set up a firewall in Linux. Most depend on a package called "iptables", which, I believe, is installed by default. However, (and it's a big however), you have to set it up! In order to learn how, I would start HERE and HERE at Wikipedia.

Comment

First, ask yourself if you really need a firewall. If you are accessing the internet through a router and a cable/dsl modem you are already behind two hardware firewalls.

Comment

Working...
          X