This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub installation

Hey everybody. I installed Linux on my eSATA HDD and was loving it until I unplugged my eSATA HDD and couldn't boot Windows from my internal drive. It would boot if the eSATA HDD was connected (GRUB on external HDD; assuming). So I used my windows boot disk and ran bootrec.exe/fixMbr in command prompt so windows boots fine but now I can't access linux Anyway I have the boot disk for linux handy and am somewhat computer literate although not so much with Linux. I've used a bit of OpenSUSE and ubuntu (minimal). I've posted my specs; as suggested in the new post thread, below:

Please include the following information in your posts:

What release of Kubuntu you are using.
    10.04 LTS
    If Kubuntu is installed, is it installed 'inside' of Windows (Wubi installation).
    installed on separate external HDD, eSATA, 5400 rpm, 160 GB
    What version of KDE you are using.
    desktop amd-64
    What version of Grub you are using.
    uninstalled trying to figure out how to install properly
    What other Operating Systems are installed.
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit (Internal notebook drive, 320 gb, 7200 rpm, SATA 3.0, 2.5'')
    Kubuntu 10.04 LTS AMD-64 (External hard drive, 160 gb, 5400 rpm, SATA 3.0, 2.5'') - intact except for grub

Information about your PC:

Type (Desktop or laptop)
    laptop HP dv5z-1000 CTU
    CPU (Central Processor Unit) make (Intel, AMD, ?) and whether 32-bit, 64-bit, or ?
    AMD-64 Turion x2 ultra zm-82 @ 2.2 GHz (stock)
    GPU (Graphics Processor Unit) manufacturer and model
    ATI (mobility) Radeon HD 3450(m) 256 MB DDR2
    RAM (how much installed)
    4 GB DDR2 800 (2 x 2 GB)
    HDs (number of and type internal - number of and type external)
    2 Total; 1 internal (windows), 1 external (linux)
    Optical Drives (number of and type internal - number of and type external)
    1 internal slot loading drive SATA 5.25'' (0.5'' height) (pioneer)

I'm hoping someone here can help me get both windows and linux back up and running so I can switch at will with the hard drive connected or just run windows without having the HDD connected. I guess that would mean having windows as the default hdd in the boot order. I messed around with the root file to no effect earlier. root>boot>grub>grub.cfg. It was set to 0 by default. My internal HDD is listed as 1 while the external one is listed as 3.

Anyway hopefully I will find time to invest the time Linux deserves. I think its a great OS. Also how do I load my eSATA HDD on other computers. What about drivers?

I thought it would be cool to buy an eSATA flash drive and load up kubuntu with wine and bf2142 or halo. Anyone have any reason to believe this wouldn't work. I've seen sizes ranging from 8, 16, 32, and 64 GB's. I think I would get the 64 GB if it would do the job and boot a couple of games.

I have a few more ideas but I don't want to get carried away considering I'm having enough trouble getting this up and running. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Grub installation

you should be able to fix grub with the super grub disk. it a bootable disk that will allow you to fix or install grub. Also you might want to have a loot at their common boot problems section.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I had a similar problem myself. I installed Kubuntu 10.04 on a usb hard drive and booted from it just fine.
      When I tried to boot from the internal hard drive windows or windows recovery would not work.
      Solution I came up with:
      Boot from external (Kubuntu)
      Copied personal files from windows drive to /home folder (in Dolphin)
      Physically swapped hard drives
      Boot from internal hard drive (Kubuntu)
      Said Good-Bye to Windows.
      Never been happier.

HP Pavilion dv6000 | AMD Turion 64 x2 2Ghz | HDD Toshiba 250 GiB<br />Wireless- Antheros AR5001<br />Dual Boot: Kubuntu 10.4 | Kubuntu 8.10 (bt4)

Comment

At this time I can't afford to let go of windows. I have windows only software I rely on for school work. But I hope to eventually have a dedicated windows machine for gaming at home wired so I have external access through the internet and a Linux laptop for on the go (12-14'') and a bootable Linux drive on the side.

For now I found this webpage: http://www.novell.com/communities/no...hout-dual-boot

I'm going to try method 1 (pasted below):

Method 1:
        Insert the Linux OS Install CD/DVD
        Reboot the computer
        Enter the “Setup Menu”
        Disable the internal hard drive
        Save settings and exit
        The computer will reboot so you can see the Post Screen
        Push the appropriate key (F12 for Dell Laptops) to bring up the “One Time Boot Menu”
        Select boot from CD/DVD
        Install Linux OS (Follow your normal install procedure)
        The only device that should appear is the external USB drive

I'll let you know how it works. There are probably easier solutions than starting a fresh, but I didn't do much work yesterday anyway so it would probably be easiest.

I'll mark this as solved if it works, but until then I'll be offline.

Thanks for the help so far.

UPDATE: I wasn't able to disable to my internal hard drive through BIOS. You got to love laptop manufacturers; the lock your laptop down to the point where you can't change anything.

Anyway I went with the second method listed on the page referenced:

Method 2:
        Insert the Linux OS Install CD/DVD
        Shout down the computer
        Remove the internal hard drive
        Start the computer
        The computer will boot so you can see the Post Screen
        Push the appropriate key (F12 for Dell Laptops) to bring up the “One Time Boot Menu”
        Select boot from CD/DVD
        Install Linux OS (Follow your normal install procedure)
        The only device that should appear is the external USB drive
        Remove the Linux OS Install CD/DVD
        Shut down the computer
        Install internal hard drive
        Enter the “Setup Menu”
        Change the boot order to resemble
        USB Device
        Internal Hard drive
        CD/DVD
        Save settings and exit
        The computer will reboot so you can see the Post Screen (Let the system boot as normal)

I pulled my HDD and installed Linux on my eSATA HDD. Everything installled fine. Then I replaced the HDD back in the drive bay. Windows booted fine, but the external HDD wasn't recognized. I changed the boot order for usb to take priority but unfotunately my HDD is eSATA.

I'll try to install the super grub disk again. Hopefully I will have better luck this time. I'll post any further status updates as I go along.

Comment

This may help you https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromUSB

Make a boot cd to boot your esata HDD

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that link a shot later on today after I run some errands and report back here afterwards with a status update.

Comment

Dual boot situations can be overcome relativley easy after you have done it several times. One of the best ways IMHO is to install the Linux boot device to the root of the Linux drive/partition. Then in Windows download and install EasyBCD boot manager. It installs in Windows....does not touch the MBR or the GRUB install. It does edit the Win BCEdit after locating your Linux install. I have been setting up dual boots for more than a few years and this is the cleanest and most painless way.

Comment

I tried the EasyBCD program you suggested, but haven't had much luck. Honestly, I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be doing. Is there any online tutorials that lay it out step by step in very basic instructions. Thanks for the patience. I appreciate it.

Comment

The EasyBCD Documentation just below the download link button isn't helpful? Back in the day when I used EasyBCD, those were the instructions I followed. They are well written.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Lol, I probably should have opened my eyes. I'm pretty good at missing the obvious. Does this support Windows 7 64-bit? It only lists up to vista. And is this a full boot or an internal emulation like XP-Mode in Windows 7 Ultimate where you run the OS in a window. Thanks for the prompt response.

UPDATE: Sorry for the delay between posts. I had alot of work to catch up on. Anyway, back to business. I have a friend coming over who's a comp engr. He should be able to fix the problem. I also went out and bought 2 flash drives (1 x 4 GB and 1 x 8 GB). I'm thinking linux pen drives. I'll let you know how that goes. If all else fails I might just go back to partitioning; it's the simplest and easy way to boot imo and I've already done it several times.

UPDATE2: I have my flashdrives up and running. Both running Ubuntu atm. Anway, I tried to install WINE to see if I could run some Windows 95 games, but it wouldn't install. Something to do with using AMD64. Never had problems with that in previous versions. Is it because it's on a flash drive?

I realize I'm not going to be able to run any of the latest games (not greatest imo; PC gaming is dying thanks to consoles), but I still have some DOS and Win95 games. I could try more recent, but I think Win95 might be pushing as is. Is there anyway to get a game such as MechWarrior 4 up and running. I have a disk. Plus it's now free (25th anniversary of Battletech) so I can download it from the internet legally if that's easier. Thanks again guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X