This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You Have 359 Updates ...

I keep trying to let my Kubuntu Update and it keeps stopping for some reason.

Dependency Resolution failed - KPackageKit

A Package Dependancy Could Not Be Found.
    More information is available in the detailed report.

(Details)

The following packages block the update: libqt4-assistant

(OK)

ummm, what?

ZT INtel i7 920
    Kubuntu the M word I cant remember what it means (10,04 I believe it is)

I have read Please read Before Posting Here I can't believe any of the other information is relevant.

Isn't there some command line command that will retrieve all that information?

Re: You Have 359 Updates ...

About package managers

The KPackageKit is a developing application. Many users are using the Synaptic package manager as a robust package manager. The KPackageKit and Synaptic are frontends to the apt. More of the package managers > FAQ: Package Managers and > Synaptic and the Kubuntu.

Everything and the kitchen sink (about 50 MB):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Only the essentials (about 3 Mb):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install synaptic

...Isn't there some command line command that will retrieve all that information?...
    Rule of thumb

When you get a mysterious error with the gui, use the cli. With the cli you usually get the full error message and could do a net search with the error message.

With the apt-get /1/; konsole:
    Update the package database:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Clean the local package archives
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    Try to upgrade.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    or
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Try to install.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install <package>
    The information of the upgradeable packages can be looked with the command:
    Code:
    /usr/lib/update-notifier/apt-check --human-readable

Links:
    /1/ > FAQ: Package Managers
    /2/ > Topic: [RESOLVED] Software In stallation Error
    /3/ > Topic: Issues with installing new packages
    /4/ > Topic: [SOLVED] Can't install packages?
    /5/ > Topic: I'm new to linux - how do I install programs?
    /N/ > Search: KPackagekit
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

With an update that size, there are often problems.

The procedure I use is as follows:

1. Do a COMPLETE system backup. That means, booting from another system or a live CD, and back up everything.

2. Start your system. When you get to the login screen, go to the menu and choose "Console login".

3. Log in to the console, and issue the following commands:

Code:
      sudo service kdm stop
      sudo apt-get update
      Don't hit the 'y' key yet!
      This will present you with a list of packages that will be installed, upgraded, and most importantly, removed. Pay careful attention to what will be removed. A large update such as this might remove important programs, or even critical parts of your system. If it threatens to remove something important, you might want either wait about 24 hours and do this again, to see if it changes from remove to upgrade, or else be sure to write down what it is going to remove.

4. Then do the upgrade. Answer y to the prompt. Watch carefully what it does. If it pulls errors, you may need to issue the following commands:

Code:
      sudo apt-get install -f
      sudo dpkg --configure -a

5. You also need to watch out for errors that say a package is trying to overwrite something (usually and icon) that is already in another package. When this happens, you need to look at the error message saying which package is pulling the errors, and then issue:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/package-name.deb
      where "package-name.deb" is the package causing the error. Then you will have to do step 4 again.

6. When all is done, I always:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install -f
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      To make sure everything has gone through. Then you can reboot, and see what it has done.

Please don't skip step #1, making the backup. It is very possible that a large update can cripple or crash your system, maybe beyond repair (voice of experience here).

FYI- In practice, I often do the apt-get update, and apt-get -d dist-upgrade while still looged into kde. That way, I can download all the packages while I am still using the system. Then I go ahead with step 1 after they have all downloaded.

Hope this is of some help.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

what we really need to know is what extra repositories have you added? libqt4-assistant is probably causing this due to the new (and BETA) versions of QT and KDE - libqt4-assistant
        is probably a qt4.6 version, and you have added beta repos. Use the command line to update/upgrade in this case so you can get useful error messages.

You should try uninstalling libqt4-assistant, then try again, or if you don't want to be using BETA software, disable those added repos and try again.

Comment

Working...
        X