This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless problem in kubuntu netbook edition 10.04

Every time i try to connect to my wireless network, it keeps asking me for the password even if i type the right password in, it really makes me mad >, because now all i can do is use wired, but i don't want to have to keep going up and down stairs just so i can use the Internet, anyone have any ideas?

Re: Wireless problem in kubuntu netbook edition 10.04

FAQ #8 linked in my signature has basic guidance and links to help you resolve networking issues, including wireless.

Comment

ok, now it says that i am connected to my wireless network but i can not do anything, can't go online, can't download packages, etc, etc. so i need to know why it is doing this

Comment

Given the number of your posts I'll assume no prior knowledge hence this is verbose.

Firstly, I discount the possibility that the system is asking for your kwallet password (which it will do using the default network manager)whereas you think it's asking for your router security key. If I'm wrong let me know. If I'm right then there are a couple of things you can do.

First, load a terminal (in kde its konsole). Then type
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        Hit return then your password then return again

Then
        Code:
        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        Hit return, select y at the prompt then hit return again.

That will update your package list and download all updates for your system. Rebooting may just fix the issue but if not you could then try wicd.

From the terminal type
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install synaptic
        Return
        password
        return
        That will download and install synaptic, which is 'buntu's most competent package manager.

Load synaptic (you will need to enter your password) and in the search box type wicd. You should see the package appear for selection. Select it and then click apply. A dialog box will appear. Check it carefully. If it says it will install wicd but uninstall a number of others (notably network manager) then great. If however it doesn't then download and install it anyway but then do a search within synaptic for network-manager and select uninstall then apply. When the process has finished close synaptic and reboot. On reboot you should then be able to configure your wireless with wicd.

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/screenshot.php

The above screenshot will help I hope. Select preferences and then the advanced settings for your desired connection which will enable you to enter your security passphrase.

Let us know how you get on

Ian

Comment

Working...
        X