This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try hd(0,0): NTFS5: No wubildr

Ok, I have a pc that I'm trying to install KUbuntu 10 on with the wubi installer. I've run across a problem with Windows 7 64 bit. I installed Windows 7 on this pc which at the time created a 100mb hidden partition that Windows 7 uses. When I install KUbuntu with the wubi installer, it installs just fine but when I reboot and select KUbuntu from the boot menu, I get the following message: Try hd(0,0): NTFS5: No wubildr. At that point, the pc locks up and I have to reboot.

I think what's happening is that KUbuntu may be trying to boot off of the hidden partition because it thinks its hd(0,0). Is there something I can edit that will tell it where to boot from? I don't think Windows 7 has a boot.ini file. At least I couldn't find one. Any idea on what I need to do? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Try hd(0,0): NTFS5: No wubildr

Usually you would edit the menu.lst file found in /boot/grub.

Code:
    $ sudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
    There you can change the hd [0,0] to whatever the correct one is. I have changed mine before and just kind of guessed at it. LOL. Not recommended. But that is how you get to the file that manages your booting.

Comment

Ok that sounds easy enough but the problem is I can't get to KUbuntu from Windows to edit menu.lst. Using the WUBI installer creates a big image file of the operating system like a virtual machine. Is there a way to boot from CD to access that big image file like it's another drive using a Linux boot cd?

Comment

You are not going to be able to access any Linux system files from Windows. Windows won't recognize the linux ext3/4 filesystem. But if you successfully got Linux install on your system and it's just a matter of booting correctly from Grub now, then you can do what I just showed you through the Kubuntu Live boot cd. When you install Linux, Grub takes over and Windows boot.ini is not longer in effect. It can be used, but I never use it that way. And yes you are right in saying Windows 7 does not use boot.ini anymore anyway...it's harder to modify now.

Comment

So how does the WUBI installer modify what ever file it is for the boot menu?

Comment

The WUBI installer will install the grub boot loader on the boot partition. If it is your Windows partition that is the boot partition then it will install it on that partition. It may have tried to install it on that small partition that Windows 7 creates. It should have actually worked by default. It worked when I did it. But like I said...if you boot from your Kubuntu live cd, look at your File Explorer. Check to see what partition your linux installation was installed on. In that partition, there should be a boot/grub/menu.lst. That can be modified from hd [0,0] to hd [1,0]. It needs to be wherever your linux install is. Or you can try re-installing Kubuntu and maybe you selected the wrong settings for your booting during the install.

Comment

Working...
            X