X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install Games using KpackageKit?

Hi there,

Installed Kubuntu 10.04 a week ago. And Im learning how to use the
    graphically interface. Using it to replace my XP systems that died due to water, long story.

So, If I click the Start button (K button), click the Computer Tab, I find the KpackageKit (Software Management).
    It looks like KpackageKit is used to install applications onto Kubuntu.

I open it, hoping to find an Add/Remove Programs button, but alas, I know this is Kubuntu, and not Windows.
    I was hoping to install some games, like the Top 10 Ubuntu games or something.

Anyone help a person like me install them?
    Thanks,

- U

p.s. I downloaded a .package file. Its called supertux.0.1.03.package. Not sure how to open this or install this.
    Tried KpackageKit, but Im seriously lost using that app.

----
    10.04 LTS Kubuntu
    No idea what version of KDE comes with 10.04 Kubuntu
    Think I have Grub 2
    No other operating systems installed except Kubuntu

Desktop PC
    Athlon X3 440 64-Bit
    Nvidia 8500
    4 GB Ram
    2 of them, 160 Gig Hard Drives, No Raid because Kubuntu Fails to install when using RAID

Re: How to install Games using KpackageKit?

Hi and Welcome to Linux,
    Kpackagekit, is an application to search for, download, and install any application from Kubuntu's repositories. A repository is a large collection of software (aka packages). There are well over 20,000 packages available to choose from in Kubuntu's repositories.

All you need to do is go back to Kpackagekit, search for something in the little search box, choose what you want to install by clicking on the arrow button on the right side of each package, then click apply. It will install each and every package you select.

Supertux 0.1.3 is already available in the repositories. You kan use Kpackagekit to search for it and install it from there. It is under the name 'supertux-stable'.

Once you are in Kpackagekit, you might want to enable more repositories by clicking on the settings tab, then enabling (main), (universe), (restricted), (multiverse), etc. It will then tell you to reload the repositories by clicking on the reload button.

Enjoy Kubuntu.

Comment

Most of us use Synaptic rather than Kpackagekit. We feel Kpackagekit is just not quite ready for "prime-time".

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks guys. Even with the Tips it took a while to figure it out.

The trick was:

>All you need to do is go back to Kpackagekit, search for something in the little search box, choose what you want to install by clicking on >the arrow button on the right side of each package, then click apply. It will install each and every package you select.

For me to understand, theres an arrow, but you need to click the arrow until it turns blue.
        Then click Apply. Then it begins installing any application you find.

For the longest time, I kept clicking apply, and nothing happened. But once I clicked the arrow into a different colot, then it installed.
        It took me a few days to understand it. Its not obvious.

Thanks again!

- U

Comment

Do yourself a favor and install Synaptic as suggested by oshunluvr. It's a superior package manager and much easier to use.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Always a lot of hate for KPackage. I, however, don't seem to have any problems with it.
            You can actually filter by what you are looking for.
            Open KPackageKit >click on the down arrow where it says "Text search", there you can click on Games, Internet, Multimedia, Graphics, etc.
            Clicking once on a package (not the download arrow) will give you a description of the program.
            Clicking the grey download arrow (turning it blue) will set the package for install. Click apply and let it do its thing.

Never really understood all the hate for KPackage, but then again, to each their own.
            &quot;Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it&#39;s from Neptune.&quot; ~Noam Chomsky<br /><br />Gigabyte MB, AMD 64x2 6000, 2 Gigs Patriot DDR2, XFX GeForce 8600GT XXX, 400Gig WD SATA HDD &amp; 1TB WD SATA HDD.

Comment

Originally posted by CVPunk
              Always a lot of hate for KPackage.
              Hate is a strong word. I don't hate KPackageKit, but I don't like it either. It simply isn't as capable a package manager as it's predecessor, Adept Package Manager, or Synaptic. It may become a well rounded package manager in time, but it isn't there yet.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X