This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems With Playing DVD's

Hey everybody, I'm fairly new to the linux game so be gentle.

I've just switched to Kubuntu 64-bit version as my operating system and seem to be having issues playing DVD's. I would have thought that I could watch them out of the box but I was wrong. I cannot play them in VLC or Dragon Player media players.

I've been reading through forums and google diligently for a couple days now but still am not making progress. I've installed libdvdcss2 as suggested.

VLC gives me a message 'Your input can't be opened' and Dragon Player does absolutely nothing.

I'm becoming baffled as to why it is so difficult to perform the simple task of watching a dvd. (Let alone trying to figure out java but that's for another day) I was using Ubuntu previously and I don't remember having to jump through these hoops.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or if more information is needed just ask. Also remember that I'm a beginner so don't assume that I know how to do a task that may be simple to you.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Problems With Playing DVD's

Welcome both, to Linux and KFN.

See HOWTO: Add the Medibuntu Repository and GPG Key which will get you playing your DVDs.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you so very much. That was exactly what I was looking for. It's also good to know why it is that DVD playback doesn't come out of the box.

Thanks again! Now onto my java problem lol.

Comment

Happy to help. I remember, back in 2007, when I first began my journey with Kubuntu, the frustration I went through learning what it was that I had to do to get DVDs playing.

Comment

Ok when I click on the link to get the code, it times out. What can I do about that. Not the link in this post, but the newest link in the post linked to this post.
          Thanks
          I've been Shot, Stabbed, and have been afraid for my life. There isn't much you can do to me that hasn't already been done.

Comment

It does that at times. Just keep trying. Just checked it, and it is 'active.'

Comment

Working...
            X