This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part of Hardware doesn't work with Lynx

Hi! Lately, I've installed Kubuntu Lucid Lynx on my Compaq Presario SR5612 AMD X86_64bit Desktop PC. Installation was quick, KDE4 works ultra-fine with the on-board graphics chipset. The whole system seems to work perfectly. But two things:
    1- k3b cannot burn any CD/DVD. I tried several configurations (DAO, TAO, RAW, Auto, ...), permissions are set correctly (cdrom -> "root" user ,"cdrom" group), but sill it returns error code 254 (unknown code).
    2- there is no sound coming out of the headphones jack.

I googled around but found nothing of interest.
    Is there a compatibility issue with this onboard Hardware?
    Laurent

Re: Part of Hardware doesn't work with Lynx

1 - Open a terminal, type dmesg, open your cd drive put in a disk and close it, wait a monute, type dmesg again and see what it says.

2 - Right click on the speaker icon in your taskbar, click on Show Mixer Window, in the box that pops up click on Mixer, then Settings and Configure Channels, select all your channels and raise the volumes until you find the one that works your headphones.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks! I'll do that when i get home this evening then i'll post the output of dmesg here.

Laurent

Comment

Here is outpout of dmesg | tail after I mounted some DVD in the drive:

Edited by Snowhog -

I was afraid you would do this - try to post the entire dmesg file, which didn't work - there is a word limit for posts - so I've delete it. These files can be/are huge. If you have to post the entire file, do so by clicking on the Addtional Options link and navigate to the file and click it to place it in the Attach: window and click Save. You have to make a copy of the file on your PC first, changing/adding an extension of .txt (in this case), and the file size can not be greater than 128Kb.

Comment

Additional what snowhog said:

Rather than throwing the WHOLE dmesg file at us (totally my mistake for not pointing this out earlier) usually the last 20-40 lines is enough.

You can see the last 30 lines and put them neatly in a txt file by typing this:

dmesg |tail -30 >dmesg.txt

Then you can attach a nice small file for us to read...

Again, sorry for not being more detailed before.

Please Read Me

Comment

Here comes dmesg | tail.
            Attached Files

Comment

do you have an entry in your /etc/fstab file for the cdrom? You shouldn't, but check anyway

Please Read Me

Comment

also - is this a usb cdrom?

Please Read Me

Comment

There is a line in fstab:
                  /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

No, it's a built-in drive. It's a 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive.

Comment

*** anyone? *** I'd very much apreciate someone's help to get this computer working...
                    Laurent

Comment

Regarding the optical drive, is it only burning that doesn't work? Have you tried installing brasero and using that, rather than K3b?

Comment

Hi! Been inactive on my home pc for a while now! Changed to Ubuntu 10.04 (sorry KDE users!). This got the soundcard wirkong fine, but still i can't burn any CD/DVD. Is it possible to move this thread over to a Ubuntu/Kubuntu forum? I'm posting the error output of brasero to this msg so if anyone has a clue of where the porblem should be located, please feel free to reply. Thanks
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X