This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motherboard Died, and I'm picking new hardware for a new machine

Does anyone see any compatibility issues with the following hardware and Kubuntu?
    • CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
    • EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    • Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601950

I've got two XFX 8800GTS video cards from a previous build that will be going into this new system.

I know, some linux experts out there are going to say that this is WAY overkill for a linux system. But I may throw in a windows drive to run games and junk. I just wanted to make sure that this hardware list won't see any issues.

BTW: Can I borrow some money?

Re: Motherboard Died, and I'm picking new hardware for a new machine

Originally posted by TheBigAmbulance
    BTW: Can I borrow some money?
    Sure. Here's a few for you: $$$$$$$$$$ (Will that be enough? I can give more.)
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I recently upgrade to an EVGA P55 SLI MB, and it works great except lm-sensors will not work with it. It has a led cpu temp display on the MB, but I can't get lm-sensors to detect any sensors except the one for my video card. I've spent hours googling with no success. So, if having your sensors displayed is important to you, (it is to me) you may want to try something else.

Comment

Thanks Snowhog!!

One thing... If I copied and pasted, would that be counterfeiting? 8)

Comment

No, you'd be an accomplice, as I'm the one who produced those $$$.

Comment

How many watts power supply do you need for that rig? 1000

You'll need those dollars from Snowhog to pay the electric bill!

Please Read Me

Comment

Hey, look on the bright side - he'll be able to load the OS into RAM. Time to put on your seat belts...

But to answer your question: afaik it should be fine
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Once you get this impressive rig up and running, I would be very interested in knowing if you are able to get your sensors detected by lm-sensors.

Comment

Sorry to disappoint you fellas, but my motherboard was actually covered by warranty! So I won't be getting a big red S on the side of my case after all.... I should anyway, my wife ok'd it! lol

Now just to figure out my 8800GTS vs. 10.04 vs. nVidia 195.36.13-16-24 issues after my new board shows up.

On a side note.... With that much RAM, would there be any use for swap space?!?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigAmbulance
                    On a side note.... With that much RAM, would there be any use for swap space?!?
                    With that much RAM, probably not. But it all depends on what you do. Personally, I create a swap partition. My rig never uses it, but ...

Comment

I kept filling up my 4gb RAM so now I'm at 8gb. Haven't swapped lately!!!

Please Read Me

Comment

no swap = no sleep/hibernation capability

Just something to bear in mind.
                        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Hey toad. Thanks for the info!

Never thought of that. I always have thought about running a system purely in RAM. There is such an obscene amount you can put in a system these days.

Comment

Hehe, I was more tongue in cheek, but I suppose you'd have to create a ramdisk and take it from there.

Not sure what the ubuntuwiki says on ramdisks, but the arch wiki has an excellent article on them

Comment

Working...
                            X