X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] How to install local printer?

I feel lost right now.

I would like to use my Samsung ML-1610 USB printer with my Toshiba Satellite L500D with Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.
    I hoped it would be detected automatically - it wasn't (as far as I can see).
    I looked into Printer configuration-system settings and realised that there was no option for local printers at all (only "network printer" and something called "printer class").

Then, YES, I HAVE searched the forums and found some threads about printer issues, USB printers etc.
    My problem is:
    These threads could as well be written in chinese....I wouldn't understand that either.....
    I have also visited Openprinting.org - kind of same problem there!

Some key words seem to be:
    CUPS
    LSB (followed by numbers like 3.2)
    RPM (has to do with the linux distribution - kubuntu seems not to be a RPM based distribution - or is it? )
    Gutenprint

But what is all that stuff.....?

I did run lsusb as recommended in one of the printer-threads; here's my result:

~$ lsusb
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 12cf:0101
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 064e:d104 Suyin Corp.
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220 HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04e8:3268 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd ML-1610 Mono Laser Printer
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I guess this means that my printer in fact IS detected by the system (BUS 001 Device 004).
    But why can't I use it then?

BTW I tried printing from Open Office (which only gives me the choice "generic printer", nothing else, in the printer configurations). Trying to print results in the simple message: "Error while printing".

Thanks a lot in advance....
    Toshiba Satellite L500D-11D, AMD Turion X2, ATI Technologies Inc M92 (Radeon mobility HD4500 series), Kubuntu 10.04,

Re: How to install local printer?

I looked up your printer on this page at openprinting.org. It appears that you want to download the SPLIX driver. I suspect that the easiest way to do that is to download the ".deb" file from the OpenPrinting site. I don't know whether your computer has a 32 or 64 bit CPU, so you will have to choose the correct version for your machine. You will probably want to install the package "gdebi-kde" from the Kubuntu repositories with your favorite package manager in order to install the ".deb" package.

Comment

It might just be the problem with the USB printer, as it was in my case. See Re: Why can't I access my USB printer? that got my USB printer 'recognized' so I could use it.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Also take a look at #13 on the FAQs linked in my signature.

Comment

I downloaded the "splix" from openprinting.org (version .deb for 64 bit), installed it and now it works.....
          Actually I have just a very faint idea of what I did (installed some kind of driver), but the problem seems to be solved for the moment.

Thanks for all comments!
          Toshiba Satellite L500D-11D, AMD Turion X2, ATI Technologies Inc M92 (Radeon mobility HD4500 series), Kubuntu 10.04,

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] How to install local printer?

Cool. Glad you got it working.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: [REOPENED] How to install local printer?

Well....I had it working.

But next time I started up my computer: same problem again. Just the message "error while printing" when I try to print, and my Samsung can't be found in settings-printer configuration.

What to do?

UPDATED, here's the solution so far:
              Both CUPS and Splix are needed to use the printer (Samsung ML-1610).
              To be found at openprinting.org.
              Then CUPS has to be set up at "localhost:631" (just type in the webbrowser).
              There are a lot of options, but most seem not to be needed initially.
              AFTER THAT the printer appears as "local printer" in system settings/computer administration/printer configuration.

THANKS DIBL FOR YOUR HELP!

Comment

Working...
              X