This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound Problem and Network Issue

Ok so I am pretty much a newb. I am not afraid of the terminal but I just dont know a lot (I know how to change directories and execute basic commands but thats about it). I really like Kubuntu and want to make it my full time operating system but there are two problems that are holding me back.

First think first:

My computer is a MacBook Pro model 4,1

1. Periodically knetworkmanager will not connect to my network when I first login. I think is a problem with the kde wallet because the window requesting authentication for knetworkmanager never pops up. I have let it sit for quite a while and still nothing. Some times logging out and back in again will fix it but almost always I have to restart my computer.

When I left click the icon in the System Tray, it shows my network, but clicking on it does nothing.

2. This one is a deal breaker for me. Audio does not work anymore. I have a Logitech USB headset and that is the only piece that is added. The order in System Settings> Multimedia> Audio Output is

Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
    HDA Intel (ALC889A Analog)
    HDA Intel (ALC889A Digital)
    Jack Audio Connection Kit
    Logitech Logitech USB Headset (USB Audio)

I have tried rearranging them but nothing seems to work. I dont know of anything recent that I have done that would have impacted this. Oh and by no audio I mean nothing. VLC, Amarok, Chrome, Firefox all nothing.

Please let me know what information I can provide.

Thanks

Re: Sound Problem and Network Issue

Welcome.

Audio:

In the System Try, there is a speaker icon. Left-click it and click on Mixer. Ensure that neither, the Master or PCM channel is muted, or that the sliders are all the way at the bottom.

If that still doesn't make any difference, open a console and type alsamixer and check the settings.

Finally, if still no sound, check dibls Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers, #6. No Audio.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Absolutly awesome. The alsamixer had 3 channels muted. Thanks a ton. Now if I could just get the network thing fixed I will be in great shape!

Comment

Glad you got it figured out.

KDE Wallet. I don't use it - have it disabled so it doesn't start. I find it more of a problem than a help. I'm the only one who uses my laptop. It's in my possession only.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

2 things you could try.....

Install network-manager-gnome (or some similar name). Doing that fixed a similar issue for me. I believe it wasn't the gnome network manager that fixed it for me, rather one of several dependencies that got installed with it.

Alternatively you could install Wicd which should remove network manager altogether which I believe would also solve the issue for you.

Comment

Working...
          X