This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] hacking ecryptfs encryption or removing permissions

Hello. Story is short and you can read it from my past questions.

Point is - kubuntu 10.04 update screwed up whole kubuntu because i think - ecryptfs encryption of the data in my user folder.

So when i try the live cd boot and i try to access my old user folder from the drive i get a message that i dont have a permission for this.

Problem is - my hard drive kubuntu can access the data (and know all of my passwords) BUT - the problem is i only have safe mode without network or anything graphical. Just the console that has fgrlx problems, and i cant install anything at my level of knowledge.

So please help me out on this- i only need some help on how to remove permissions using only console or how to hack into the data folders from live cd. I have access to other computers so that i can download some additional data, only problem is I suck with console (and thus safety mode) and permissions (but i remember all of my passwords.

That doesnt seem too hard for an expierienced user, so I would be very happy if someone would help me on this

Re: hacking ecryptfs encryption or removing permissions

Frankly, I think that your problems go far beyond fglrx (note correct spelling for Google linux lookup).

If you want to change file access modes from the console, please enter the command:
    man chmod
    and follow the directions there.

Apropos of nothing, my opinion (with which, you are free to disagree) is that file encryption is something that is far more trouble than it is worth except in special circumstances such as financial records or a kiosk computer with public access. Even in those circumstances, it should be used selectively.

Comment

Re: hacking ecryptfs encryption or removing permissions

Kubuntu10.4 did not screw your kubuntu, you encrypted your data to prevent anyone seeing it - that includes you if you remove the original install and replace it with a new one. Rather like putting a fancy lock on your front door, throwing away the key and complaining about the lock.

You might want to look here, especially post #4 and #10 - #10 looks more like it and worked fine for me
      http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/sh....php?t=1134121
      I changed my mind about using encryption and removed it before installing 10.4 over the top of 9.10.
      The method above assumes you have at least as much free space on your drive as your data (/home) contains as you are making a complete copy of it (and I would have a backup on something else as well, even if all you are doing is reinstalling 'cos if it can go wrong it will if you don't backup).

Comment

Re: [solved] hacking ecryptfs encryption or removing permissions

I tried various methods. The only one which worked was - install new kubuntu on a previous install, add exact the same user and computer name. Then if you still can't login then restart and choose one of the previous distributions/versions stored on your computer or the recovery mode.

Comment

Working...
        X